HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Hi, sorry...

#1 2003-02-12 18:45:06

Ocarolan

Hi, sorry...

...if this has been covered already.

I was very impressed by my first papier-mache project. I had an interesting evening making the paste and bottling it, then I spent several hours the next day making a very nice bowl, using a 9" diameter glass/pyrex bowl as a mould and using alternate layers of newspaper and manilla envelopes. The first article I read, before I started, had suggested putting oil on the mould before putting the first layer of paper down. However, the article that described the bowl that I was making suggested using cling wrap, so I did. I then let it dry overnight. Then...errr....then came the problem. I don't seem to be able to get the bowl off the mould. The mould had a very insignificant external lip all around it and, during construction, I had, without thinking, pushed the paper under the bottom (top of the glass bowl, actually, but it was upside down) of the mould but I was able to pry that away. However, I just don't seem to be able to get the bowl off the mould. Will heat or cold work? Any ideas would be welcome.

#2 2003-02-14 14:41:19

Karen
Website

Re: Hi, sorry...

If your papier mache is not thoroughly dry it will be difficult to pry from the mold. Try placing the bowl in the oven -- at the lowest possible setting. When dry, the bowl should pop right off your mold. (It may take two hours or ten depending on the thickness of your mache.)

karen
www.farroutart.com

#3 2003-02-16 21:11:13

Ocarolan

...that didn't work. I still have a papier-mache bowl stuck (?) to a glass bowl. What is worse, I've done it again. This time with a tall cone shaped bottle. I have made a nice elegant tall vase, using a CD as a form for the base. I ensured that the neck of the bottle was suitably padded so that there wouldn't be any ridges that might trap the papier-mache. I covered the whole thing with clingwrap, spent several hours building it, it has now been drying for 28 hours and I can't get the bottle out of the vase. I have cut 3/4" of papier-mache off the top (bottom of the bottle) so I can get some purchase on it but with no success.

#4 2003-02-17 14:44:40

Karen
Website

First thing you can attempt is to take a box cutter and carefully cut through half (vertically) of your bowl and vase. Then gently lift the art  away from your form. Glue to repair. If your art is still sticking to the form, the you may have to try the following: Instead of glass, use stainless steel bowls/forms, etc. Coat the form with vegetable oil or shortening. It does work well! Like you, I have had poor luck using glass as a form. Someone, with a science mind, could explain this. Unfortunately, I can't. Or perhaps someone has another release agent they use with glass. Any help here?
karen
www.farroutart.com

Board footer