HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Help with a workshop.

#1 2007-08-18 20:41:55

art-of-africa
Website

Help with a workshop.

Hi guys,

Have any of you ever done a PM workshop? I'm in a total panic because a friend of my mom's saw some of my PM and asked if I would do a workshop for her and some friends. I agreed (it's so easy to be confident when the event is three months away) but now it's only two weeks until the workshop and I have no idea what to do.

I thought I would show the layer method by making a vase from a balloon and then show them how to make pulp and do a bowl using on of their own favourite bowls from home.

The problem is, because it takes so long to dry, we won't be able to finish anything and they will be taking wet things home with them. Also, the works of mine that they saw were big sculptures and I'm wondering if that's what they are expecting to learn. There are 6 of them coming, and the workshop is from 10am to 4pm with a break for lunch, so I won't be able to do anything too complicated.

Any ideas would really be appreciated.

Thanks, Karen

#2 2007-08-18 23:15:43

newmodeller
Website

Re: Help with a workshop.

Rule One: Don't panic!!!!!
Rule Two: Don't worry if they don't complete a piece in one day.  Make sure you have printed up an instruction hand out for everyone to take home with them.

I recently did a project with our local primary school, although to be fair I had two hours a week, for 7 weeks, with each group.  The most important thing I did was write myself a plan, it is a bit like a teacher lesson planning.

Detail the technique you want to use, list the things that can be made using it and then pick the one most suited to your group. 
The most important thing you do is make the object yourself and time the stages and drying times.  This gives you a structure for the workshop, don't forget to factor in extra time to each stage.  You will have explaination time, start up time and most newbies are uncertain and need guidance that they are doing it right.

Always make sure that you have spare materials to hand, most people underestimate what they will need to bring with them and you nearly always need to supply spare glue or paper.

You might want to think along the lines of sculptures around recycled objects, that just needs 3 or 4 layers of paper and pva before painting.  Sue Catperson will be annoyed with me for this but in one day workshops use undiluted pva rather than paste if you are looking for a result at the end of the day.  It dries fast and sets hard.

The most important thing is that you will have lots of fun, my school project was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#3 2007-08-19 08:47:27

Krise
Website

Hi Karen,
why not making just one object - make a vase by covering a ballon with newspaper-stripes. To make sure that each layer is completely dry use a hair dryer (not too hot yikes) ). After e.g. 4 layers laminating and drying the object is strong enough to be covered with a thin layer of pulp. This might be easier to transport, too.

hth and good luck for your workshop - it´s real fun to teach, I love it!

Christina

#4 2007-08-19 14:27:25

art-of-africa
Website

Hi guys,
Thanks for your input. I've started writing up a plan now and I feel a bit more confident. I must definitely take the "don't panic" advice on board big_smile I like the idea of using something recyclable to build on. I will have to look around as our hose is full of all kinds of salvaged goodies just waiting to be turned into art.

Christina, I hadn't actually thought about combining pulp and strips in one object. I'll have a play with some of the vases I'm working on now and see if I can incorporate that idea.

#5 2007-08-19 18:38:05

CatPerson

Start with the simple stuff, not with wire armatures.

If you can, have similar projects in various stages of completion (dry), then add on from there, showing the next step; you don't need to finish each step.  If you start everything from the beginning, your students won't have time for their own projects.

For instance:
1. Here, you've blown up a balloon and covered it with a single layer of papier mache.

2. This is what it looks and feels like with six layers of papier mache.

3. This is the way to add a nose, ears, wings, legs, a tail. (Not necessarily all on one piece!)

4. Here is the way you smooth it all down to do surface preparation.

5. Smoothing operation (whatever is appropriate).

6. Decorating.

7. Sealing.

(This is all based on about 45 seconds of thought, and I'm sure it needs improvement.)

Don't get too intense, and be sure to have a good time.

Sue

#6 2007-08-19 23:00:43

trixyinaz

I was also going to suggest what Catperson suggested.  And, I often do a few layers of strips and then finish with a layer or two of pulp.

Also, to help quicken the dry time, will you have access to an oven?  When I'm on a roll or need to finish something in a hurry (just because I'm impatient), I always bake mine on low for a couple hours.

Board footer