HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

wire armatures

#1 2001-06-26 18:56:29

wire armatures

I have been experimenting with paper pulp over chicken wire armatures for about a year. However I have found it very difficult to achieve curved shapes (spheres, cylinders, etc).
I also want to make some small hands for a 0.5m tall cartoon figure, but I have found this extremely tricky, using garden wire and fine pulp.
I would greatly appreciate any tips/advice on either of the above.
Thanks.

#2 2001-06-28 17:50:38

Re: wire armatures

Hi John,

When I started with papiermachee I used the chicken wire as well, but it's hard to give it a fine shape.
Now I use styropolene (wrapping foam) and cover it whit a thin layer of pulp.
You can cut it, sandpaper it and the result is a very solid sculpture.
I hope I helped you with these tips.

try it and let me know.
andre

Don't forget to look at www.papercastle.nl

#3 2001-07-31 19:44:56

This is intended for Andre, really.
You advised me to use styropolene (wrapping foam) rather than chickenwire as an armature/mould. I am very keen to try this but I have been unable to find this material anywhere. I have checked out art suppliers, packaging companies and manufacturers, but none of them have heard of styropolene. Perhaps it goes by a different name in the UK?
I would be really grateful if you would give me a little information about this product, if you have the time, such as:
Where do you buy it from in Holland? What does it actually look like (a few people have asked me to describe it)? What do I do with it when I get it?
Thanks,
John.

#4 2001-08-02 14:31:13

Hi John,

As far as I know, "styropolene" is the name they use in Holland for good old polystyrene as we know it over here. It is worth salvaging any large pieces you can from packages that have breakable articles in such as computers etc. This is what Andre wants his "stones" made out of for his Castle (at least that is what I used to make mine!) yikes)

Jackie

#5 2001-08-14 09:36:47

Hi John,

I see Jackie answered the question very well, couldn't answer it any better.
Hope you can find it.
I buy it in a DO IT YOURSELF STORE, where you can buy tools , wood , stone , cement and that kind of material.

It's white and very light

c u

Board footer