HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Help there are mice living inside my sculptures!

Help there are mice living inside my sculptures!

#1 2002-11-22 04:03:29

Rachel

Help there are mice living inside my sculptures!

Hello there fellow mache ers, I have been working in papier mache for about 4 years now, and I love it! it is the perfect medium for me, lightweight, cheap, and extremely malleable. My only BIG problem is the mice!!!!!
They love my work! of course, since I use flour as my adhesive, I understand their attraction. But they drive me crazy, they nest in my figure's heads, they hide in corners and sneak out at night and nibble corners. I have 3 cats and they are not interested in protecting my sculptures at all. Does anyone have any advice about how I can keep using this medium and get rid of the mice?

#2 2002-11-22 13:20:15

Karen
Website

Re: Help there are mice living inside my sculptures!

Hi Rachel,
Experienced the same phenomena while storing masks in a garage. I too use flower as an adhesive -- though not as often anymore. The flour is a highly attractive food for mice! Beyond trapping the mice you might try sealing your work with polyurethane. Make more than one pass. Coat your pieces at least two times. You could also change your adhesive. There are inexpensive wallpaper pastes available. They work well and may be an appetite turnoff to those pesky critters. Good luck, Rachel. You definitely have a challenge there.
Karen
http://www.farroutart.com

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Help there are mice living inside my sculptures!

Board footer