HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Anubis mask

#1 2002-10-18 01:49:52

wolfie

Anubis mask

Hi everyone.  I am new to this forum and it has been awhile since I used papier mache.  I did a belly cast of a pregnant woman last year and that turned out wonderful.  I painted the belly with a scene of a woman-tree against the night sky, and the moon phase on the night her baby was born with some constellations.  I really enjoyed doing it. 
My newest project is a mask of Anubis, the Egyptian god of the dead.  He is typically portrayed as having the body of a man and the head of a jackal.  The person who will be wearing the mask has long hair like Anubis is usually pictured, so I was thinking I would do a face mask that extended just over the top of the head so I can do the ears and also extend down to the collarbone and finish it off in a rounded-off shape similar to a necklace. 
I am wondering what I should use to make the shape of the muzzle and ears and still have the mask be lightweight.  I would like the surface to be as smooth as possible, so should I use toilet tissue and wallpaper paste?  Would it be better to apply gesso before painting or can I get away without it by using the toilet tissue?  How long will it take to dry?
  Should I use a balloon as a base?  How would one of those plain plastic face masks work?  What is the best way to do nose holes?  I have really enjoyed reading the posts on this forum and I look forward to replies to this question.
That's all for now; time to take a glass of homemade raspberry cordial and go soak in the hot tub.  tongue

Be friendly but never tame.
Misbehave with integrity.
Don't let the bastards get you down.

#2 2002-10-22 15:56:29

Jackie
Website

Re: Anubis mask

Welcome to the forum!

Have you had a look at Karen Farr Lee's great tutorial on mask making? It's under the "information" button. Karen shows us how to make a mask from a plastic milk bottle. If you want a porcelain-like finish you could use tissue paper, but newspaper would work fine if you smoothed it carefully then lightly sanded it. As for the base, a balloon might be too rounded - why not try Terry's idea of actually moulding it on a person's face (see "Advice needed on mask making") in this forum.

Hope your Anubis turns out well.

Jackie

#3 2002-10-23 12:35:06

wolfie

Re: Anubis mask

Hi!
Thanks for the tips and welcome.  We are going to work on it this weekend and I will let you know how it goes.  Thanks so much!  I look forward to doing more with this medium.  I am a mehndi artist and am always looking for more things to mehndi.  For those of you unfamiliar with mehndi, it is the art of applying henna paste to the body in intricate designs.  This is done by many cultures, but most widely known by the Indian custom of decorating the hands and feet of brides.
Talk to you later!
Wolfie

Be friendly but never tame.
Misbehave with integrity.
Don't let the bastards get you down.

Board footer