HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Advice needed on Mask-making..

#1 2002-10-11 12:28:53

Papagina

Advice needed on Mask-making..

Hi everyone!
I have recently started 'dabbling' in mask-making with papier mache. I would like to be able to make a venetian style mask, so I made a pattern out of plasticene, and cast a plaster of paris mould. All well and good. My problem comes when I try to actually make the papier-mache.
First I tried the 'pulp' method, following a recipe that I found online - I waited until it had dried completely before removing the mask. The whole thing was so brittle it disintegrated the moment I tried to get it out of the mould. I decided that perhaps the 'strip' method would be stronger, so I tried using newspaper and walpaper paste. It looked promising as I was building it, however, as I got the mask out of the mould, the strips started peeling away from each other in layers.
I tried again using a stronger glue mix - the result was the same. I then found a site which advised that traditional venetian masks were made using wallpaper lining paper, so I tried using that with wallpaper paste as the adhesive.. And again the strips did not stick to each other, and I can peel away all my hard work in layers. Does anyone have any idea where I might be going wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

#2 2002-10-12 13:23:30

Jackie
Website

Re: Advice needed on Mask-making..

Hi!

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your mask making...it sounds as though the fault here might be your plaster mould, unless you are not fully saturating the paper? I always paste both sides of the paper - some people prefer to dip the paper strip into the adhesive then squeeze off the excess.

I have never used a plaster mould myself, so maybe someone else can better advise you here, but I do know that plaster is very thirsty. Maybe you need to seal the mould if you haven't already? In the old days, toys were made in wood or fired clay moulds (see "Vintage papier mache toys") but they always greased or laquered the mould first.

What do others think?

Jackie

#3 2002-10-12 16:22:56

Papagina

I've not tried sealing the mould because I want to be able to finish the mask with gesso, and am a little worried that if I use a sealant such as vaseline, then I might have trouble getting the gesso to stick. I suppose I could paint the inside of the mould with a gloss paint or something similar..?
I have managed to get the complete mask out of the mould twice, but the paper still flaked off in strips. Like yourself, I also paste both sides of the paper, and am beginning to wonder whether I should use better quality wallpaper paste. I'll try sealing the mould, and I'll let you know if it makes a difference..

#4 2002-10-12 17:17:20

Karen
Website

Am curious whether or not you are placing strips of paper in opposite directions, id est, first ply vertical direction, second ply horizontal direction and so forth. Like Jackie, Papagina, I'm stumped about why you're getting the results you are. If all else fails, try the old fashioned method of flour and a dash of salt for your adhesive. You may be surprised at the results.
karen

#5 2002-10-12 17:24:33

Papagina

Although it does get quite tricky around the nose of the mask, I have tried to build up the layers in alternate directions.. I figured that it would be stronger ifI made it that way.
Thanks for your help - I will certainly give flour and water a try!

#6 2002-10-13 19:21:55

Terry
Website

Hello
I make masks using a plaster mould, the mould was made over a friends face using plater bandage strips, the OUTSIDE of the mould was covered in tin foil and laminated PM applied  I use a flour paste and alternate strips of Newspaper and brown grocery bags, I apply 7 layers let dry remove from mould and build up the features etc with soaked crushed newspaper and again laminate it.
You can see some of the masks that I have made with the exception of the African Mask  all the maske were made over the one plater mould
take a look at them at
http://www.4uall2c.com/terryspapiermache/gall2.html
Hoping this helps, if I can help further please advise
Good luck with your masks
BTW  I would LOVE to see them
Terry

Terry's Tutorials
     The Art of Papier Mache
    Contact tbishop@direct.ca
http://www.4uall2c.com/terryspapiermache

#7 2002-10-15 13:29:17

Papagina

Thanks for the help - (that goes for everyone, not just Terry) - I have just completed my next attempt, and am waiting for the paper to dry so I'll see if it works this time. I loved your gallery Terry - you have some impressive work there - and must have endless patience. The norse mask is my favourite, followed by the zen mask.. Looking through the rest of your site I loved the chickens and the christmas trees too.
As for my effort - well it really was only an experiment, but then a friend of mine heard what I was attempting, and has asked me if I would be willing to make a further six masks for a freeform event that he has in the pipeline for next April - so it has now become quite important that I get the technique right. wink
You're quite welcome to see my mask when it's finished - I'll post a link to a picture if it turns out OK.
Thanks again!

#8 2002-10-15 16:11:50

Terry
Website

Thank you so much Papagina for visiting my site and the great comments.
I 'm so pleased someone else here is making masks, it really gets quite addictive, and each one is a learning experience. I do hope that we are able to help you through the "stickiness" and indeed YES  I would LOVE to see your works, please keep us all informed of your progress, remember that a smile is the ideal companion to PM..helps too if like me, you are a kid that never grew up
Terry

Terry's Tutorials
     The Art of Papier Mache

#9 2002-10-17 15:01:08

Papagina

Well - Terry - as a result of your inspiration, I've just cast a plaster pattern so that I can build masks up over a positive mould too. I would love to have the courage to do a proper face cast on myself - but I'm a coward, and so I have poured the plaster into one of those standard plastic mask formers that you can get at  most costume shops. It will hopefully serve my purpose well enough. I'm really looking forward to trying this..
I've looked at those chickens of yours again - I love the stoneware finish you achieved there, and I really like the whole idea that these sculptures look as though they are fired clay, when in fact they are paper.
I've posted a link below to my Elfwood gallery - my character 'Malefice' is the reason I started mask making in the first place - I thought it might be nice to have an actual physical representation of his cracked mask, and that is what I am currently trying to achieve. I'm rapidly becoming hooked on the possibilities though - even if I haven't yet been successful.. A smile is definitely the way to go big_smile.
http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/x/o/ … hique.html

#10 2002-10-17 16:30:59

Terry
Website

Hello Papagina.
Thank you for your post, I would suggest when you make the basic mask to go ahead and make several, once you work on one the inspiration will flow and be assured you will be making more.
Thank you for the comments on my chickens, the finish is due in part to the fact that I love the PM texures and make little effort to smooth out those textures, and the paints that I use, I can see by your awesome Art Works that you need no introduction to paint!! Your works are really AWESOME, however I will state my painting methods which are simplicity itself. The items are painted first using a Latex House Paint in semi gloss (known in UK as "emulsion") then coloured with tempara powder paints (Poster Colours) mixed with vinegar, dish liquid and thinned with water, then varnished with an oil varnish, in my opinion this suits the textures that I like.
Good luck with the masks, remember to let me see the pictured  big_smile
Please keep in touch
Terry

Terry's Tutorials
     The Art of Papier Mache

#11 2002-10-20 16:05:04

Papagina

I finally got the mask out of the mould in one piece! I used a releasing agent as suggested, and thicker wallpaper paste. I lost the very tip of his nose, but that is something I can fix. Thanks to everyone for all your help. I'm off to apply some gesso now..
Terry - I would never have guessed that you used emulsion - what a great idea, and also much cheaper than acrylic or enamel paint..wink

Board footer