HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Puppets

#1 2001-06-19 19:05:02

Puppets

I have been doing papier mache for a little while now, making bowls and masks.  I would like to try and make a puppet, such as Punch.  I am not sure how to start.  Does anyone have any ideas?  It would be greatly appreciated.

A-J

#2 2001-06-26 11:31:52

Re: Puppets

I have emailed you a couple of ideas for making basic puppets, I hope this helps, at least as a starting point.  There is a website called - www.enchantedlearning.com - where you'll find, in the crafts section, loads of good ideas for all manner of projects.  Keep up the good work.  CJ

#3 2001-08-05 20:12:23

Re: Puppets

Hello CJ.

Perhaps in your research you may have familiarized yourself with the Commedia dell'Arte, since you have chosen this particular character?  If so, then please excuse my rambling.  If not, then you might want to check into the origins of "Punch" or "Pulcinella".   There's lots of info on line. 

The main thing when doing this type of character is to reflect the personality in form and in motion.  Focus on the nose and facial expression and props.  Of course, there's the costume as well.  He's a funny persona with an interesting history.

I use "Sta Flo" Liiquid Starch as my adhesive.  There may be a similar brand available to you.  I use approximately a cup at a time, as it goes a long way.  Just dip your torn strips in it and squeeze out the excess before applying to your form.  Rinse your hands with warm, soapy water, as it will begin to flake when dry.

By now, you may already know the basics of working with shapes.  Practice forming different shapes for features.  Make a sample first.  Follow your basics and then add your personality to the final design.  It sounds like a fun project.  Much success to you.

Regards,

Rozani

Board footer