HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Flat paint type?

#1 2006-12-26 13:26:21

Seeria

Flat paint type?

Hello everyone
New here, hope everyone had a good holiday.

I keep reading about using a base coat of flat paint (indoor) paint on a project before decorative painting it. Can someone tell me what type of paint this is? Something like Killz or ??

Kind regards,

See

#2 2006-12-26 17:01:43

Moni

Re: Flat paint type?

Seeria,
Welcome to the forum smile . I use any kind of paint on my projects. If you are not picky about specific colors sometimes you can find great deals at the paint store on large containers of specialty mixed paints that just weren't quite the perfect color. You can also use craft paints and I have even used outdoor house paint. Good luck with your project.
Moni

My cat is my best friend!

#3 2006-12-26 18:39:35

CatPerson

Flat latex wall paint is fine.  The latex-based Kilz is fine.  Acrylic paint is fine.  Oil-based Kilz is okay if, AND ONLY IF, you are sure you will be using oil-based paints on top of it.

Actually, nearly any paint is fine, with one warning:  You cannot use water-based latex or acrylic paint of any kind over an oil-based paint.  It won't stick well, and if it sticks in the beginning, it will peel.  (We don't need to go into how I discovered this  :oops: --- before I learned that it was indeed written in stone.)  Never, ever.  And never try to mix the two...  roll really bizarre results. (This was an accident with someone else's paint-- I wouldn't have done it had I known.)

And I wouldn't want to try flat paint over glossy paint, even if both are latex.  I don't know for a fact that it wouldn't work, but I would just prefer not to ruin my work with the discovery that it's a bad idea.

And it's okay to mix acrylic paints with latex.  I've used the intense acrylic tube paints to tint latex wall paint, and it worked fine.  (A good thing, as it was an 8' x 16' display for work.) 

After the first oil/latex fiasco, I have learned to to make small test sample.  And if I know I'll be trying something different, I make a small PM sample (flat is fine) of the same materials, and test it there.

Sue

#4 2006-12-27 03:24:00

Seeria

Thanks for the tip, Moni smile

And thank you for yours, CatPerson. I picked up flat latex today and will be testing out things with acrylics.

First projects: make colorful big blocks for daughter.
Second project: She wants a castle for her fashion dolls, a castle that looks like Castle Rowallan. Heh. Should be interesting.  lol

#5 2006-12-27 04:03:26

CatPerson

Severely pared down in size, this site might give you some ideas for a small castle:
http://www.mrmcgroovys.com/castle.htm

Sue

#6 2006-12-27 12:41:16

Seeria

That one would make a nifty playhouse

This is the castle (Scottish heritage) she wants the dollhouse fashioned after

http://www.theclanmuir.org/Rowallan_in_fall.jpg

It will have to be altered a bit of course.  big_smile

#7 2006-12-27 18:34:49

CatPerson

Actually, that one looks like it would be easier. 

Castles usually look great, but when I see one, all I can think of is 'drafty!"
big_smile

Sue

Board footer