HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » question-using plastic dolls as a base i cant get the paper

question-using plastic dolls as a base i cant get the paper

#1 2002-06-20 22:56:17

question-using plastic dolls as a base i cant get the paper

for what im making we are using doll heads and bodies and wish to paper mache over them and cut them off and reuse the heads and just paper mache over the cracks. we have seen it done in books but we cant quite figure out a way to get them off easily because they want to stick to the plastic/rubber. is there anything we can put over the dolls bodies before we paper mache them? if you have any suggestions or tips id soooo appreciate it. thanks!

#2 2002-06-21 16:20:57

Re: question-using plastic dolls as a base i cant get the paper

I usually start with a layer of wet paper with no glue on to prevent sticking but dolls are a bit of a difficult shape to do that. You could try coating the doll with vaseline first. It's messy but it works. Good luck.

#3 2002-06-23 00:46:58

Try cellophane or aluminum foil.  You can re-shape or sand out the imperfections.  It works quite well on mask forms, mannequins and styrofoam heads.

Good luck.

#4 2002-08-19 21:33:01

As Rozani has added the use of aluminum foil is great
I take it that the problem is that you are covering a dolls head and then cutting it out, "please correct me if I am wrong in this assumption"
Vasaline will work better for you is you leave the vasaline in a warm place so that it becomes almost liquid then using a brush to brush it on, apply your first layer of paper WITHOUT paste, just water.  The main problem is that the Papier Mache shrinks as it dries, therefore tightening around the ariginal dolls head and holds it like a tight glove.
If you are able to find heads that you you can slice in two pieces and use the INSIDE of the head to apply your Papier Mache the problem will be greatly reduced
Terry

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » question-using plastic dolls as a base i cant get the paper

Board footer