HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Xmas piggybanks

#1 2006-10-23 12:55:41

littlepiggy

Xmas piggybanks

I thought I would attempt to make papier mache piggybanks for a lot of my friends for xmas this year, as money is tight and I can personalise them all to make a really nice gift  big_smile

Thought I would try a prototype this week (just incase I am less crafty than I thought) using a balloon, inner loo roll and something I haven't figured out yet for legs/ears.

This site is a fabulous resource and I think I'm going to use a layering approach with either a PVA or wallpaper paste glue mix (to keep bugs away - good tip, whoever said that!) then sand and paint the outside with acrylic paint to improve the strength. I think I will have to do quite a few layers so will let it dry between them.

My question is about the inside - I was planning these as a 'break when you want your money back' sort of thing so I won't be able to seal or paint the insides - not a problem in itself but I didn't want the inside of my piggies to look like news print.  What material could I use for the first 3 layers maybe to give a nice white inside?

Obviously, if you can think of any other tips for my project, that would be great. I haven't touched papier mache in years so am quite the novice :?:

In the meantime - I'm going to continue to rattle through all the other threads in this forum.. its a real goldmine for tips and ideas :mrgreen: Thanks guys!

#2 2006-10-23 13:52:06

Jackie
Website

Re: Xmas piggybanks

White paper?

Jackie

#3 2006-10-23 15:26:50

littlepiggy

Is any old white paper ok to use? I wasn't sure if the paper I use in my printer would be too thick?

#4 2006-10-23 16:43:15

Jackie
Website

I like to use what we call "sugar paper". It soaks up the adhesive well and moulds nicely to the shape you are covering. You could use copy paper but it is rather stiff.

Other papers you could use are kitchen paper (for a nobbly effect) or tissue paper for a smooth, porcelain effect. Though with these you'd have to be careful about newsprint coming through from subsequent layers.

Another idea is to use a coloured paper to match the colour you are going to paint the outside. Or for a fun effect, use wrapping paper with pictures on that would mean something to the person the gift was for. (Remember to stick the pictures face down of course, so they end up being visible when the pig is broken).

p.s. Wouldn't you rather put a stopper in so that they don't have to break open your lovely artwork? :cry:

Jackie

#5 2006-10-23 17:06:02

littlepiggy

I know myself too well, if I try to make a stopper-shaped hole then I will probably make it too big and then I'm stuffed!! Maybe I will have a go on my prototype and if it works then look for somewhere to buy them from.

The other option is making the money hole big enough to get the money out from too.

I guess I will see how good my artwork is before I try to figure out if it is worth saving or not!! big_smile I suppose if I give them as gifts, people won't want to break them anyway so I should at least try to find another method of money retrieval!!

Thanks for the tips.. I might have a look and see if I've got any crepe paper at home for a starting few layers of colour smile

#6 2006-10-25 12:47:15

dopapier

:shock:
Your idea should work well.  Give it at least six layers of alternating bond and kraft paper.  For the inside, in addition to what Jackie has suggested, you might dunk your first layer of (white) paper in water and let it drain on the side of a bowl or sink.  It will then be very soft and malleable.  Tear it into pieces, say about 1" diameter, and place them on the balloon, overlapping.  Or longer strips if you find that easier.  As soon as you have an area of paper without balloon showing, wipe your paste over it.  The idea, really, is that you are not pasting to the balloon so that release is easy.
Another tip is to put the neck of the new balloon over a tap and run in about a third of water.  This makes the balloon much firmer to handle and it can be sat on e.g. an eggcup so that you can work around it more easily.  Alternatively hang from a shelf or something.  Even then a bit of water inside makes it firmer to deal with.
DavidO :idea:

I'm a PM addict

#7 2006-10-26 10:00:23

littlepiggy

Thanks David - I might give the water in the balloon idea a try, I've got them hanging from string at the moment but I'm finding they twist so much I lose where I am with them (this is probably not helped by my technique)

is it still easy to remove the balloon without soaking the structure? I keep thinking the balloon will explode inside and destroy my work smile

I'll have to look up the difference between kraft and bond paper  :oops: but I will certainly get at least 6 layers on there

My prototypes are starting to take shape!  big_smile

#8 2006-10-28 05:07:31

CatPerson

I tried the water in the balloon trick (I even thought of it myself!).  My first time with it was my last time with it.  I don't know if the balloon burst while drying or if it had a slow leak in it that I didn't notice.  But in the morning, my piggy was a flat, soggy mess, with water all down the kitchen cabinet and onto the floor.

I've never had trouble with a balloon releasing from papier mache.  Or any kind of plastic, even those soft inflatable balls that are more like balloons.

Sue

#9 2006-11-05 16:17:32

Wile E

Here's a possible idea for getting the money out without breaking them. When you are close to finished cut a small square access hole in the bottom with an exacto knife. Try to make a neat, smooth cut. Leave one side still attached. Sand the edges a little to make it smoother. And you can paint the edges too.

Now you will need to add something to keep it closed. I can see the dohickey in my head,  putting it into writing is not working for me since I can't think of the name of the hardware but I will try to describe it. I am thinking of a latch thingy that looks a little like a winged bolt, you would put it through the bottom on the opposite side from the attached edge. When you turn the bolt it would hold the opening closed.

Another idea would be to make the opening but apply another layer of PM over it and then paint a small dotted line over that area when you finish and the new owner could easily cut it open to get their money without destroying the sculpture. This method would not be reusable though unless they want to tape it shut afterwards.

#10 2006-11-05 16:22:11

dopapier

sad  I'd go with the dotted line.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#11 2006-11-26 16:12:19

butterbee

How about a cork to seal the bottom with? That is what they sometimes use with ceramic piggy banks. If the papier-mache was thick enough you could cut a small round hole in the bottom and use the cork to plug it up.

I have made banks in the past, but I have never really worried about how to get the money out. I wanted it sealed up tight so I didn't have to worry about easily getting in and and spending all the money inside.  lol

#12 2006-11-26 17:39:33

dopapier

:twisted:
Actually, Sue (Catperson), there is a secret to the water in the balloon idea.  (I'll whisper it . . . . you have to tie the neck of the balloon!!!)  lol
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#13 2006-11-26 19:26:59

CatPerson

YOU HAVE TO TIE THE NECK OF THE BALLOON???   :shock:

What an inspired idea!

Thanks, David!

Sue

Board footer