HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Weatherproofing Outdoor peices...any ideas?

Weatherproofing Outdoor peices...any ideas?

#1 2002-05-11 08:53:41

Weatherproofing Outdoor peices...any ideas?

I've been approached to work on a 2 to 3 metre "'kewpie doll' to be displayed outside a craft shop/tea shop.  I'm thinking of papier/cloth mache over a core of styrofaom and wire armature  Has anybody worked on a sculp[ture of this size, and have ideas re weatherprrofing it?  I'm a little reluctant to work in fibreglass if there are other options...  Has anyone ever used silicone (thinned with acetone) as a sealant.   I'd really appreciate any help, ideas, etc.

#2 2002-06-03 13:08:00

Re: Weatherproofing Outdoor peices...any ideas?

Put spackling, patching plaster and or joint compound (used for sheetrock),  after that is dry apply severl coats of polyurethane.  It works great!  Happy papier mache, I just love it, there are no boundaries....Sincerely Sista Carla

#3 2002-06-09 18:20:51

It's relatively easy to make paper mache weather resistant, but almost impossible to make it water or weatherproof.

For pulp papier mache, you can soak it in boiled linseed oil - it will probably take three to five applications.  This will make it very strong, and somewhat resistant to weather.

For strip paper mache, four or five brushed-on coats of solvent-based marine spar urethane does a nice job.

The only way I know of truly protecting the project is to apply a two-part resin as a finish.  Mike  www.fakefruit.com

#4 2002-06-13 18:53:06

Together with Michelle I was eagerly awaiting any answers on weatherproofing. But as I am dutch, I canmake no sense of it. PleaseSista or Michael can you explain to me: spackling; patching plaster;joint compound for sheetrock (Is that the black glue for roofcovering?) and solvent based marine spar?
Thanks for the effort                                             Ruud.

#5 2002-06-14 19:23:38

Hi Ruud,

All these different trade names can get confusing. Basically, they are all just types of compound that you buy to fill in cracks in walls inside your house. They are often sold in small packets or boxes in powder form that you mix with water. Sometimes they are ready made but are more expensive.

Solvent based marine spar is a strong varnish used on  boats.

Jackie

#6 2002-06-18 16:43:56

Hi Michelle

I was told by a man who made floats for the Santa Claus Parade, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada to create the piece on a chicken wire armature, build up with mache (I think I would use glue rather than anything starch based), when dry, seal with outdoor Varathane, use metal paint to decorate, possibly automotive or Tremclad, seal again with varathane, do this 2 more times for a total of three times and then coat with several layers with the Varathane.  Some of these floats are 30 and 40 years old.  I suppose they would need repainting and re sealing.  I haven't tried this, so I can't vouch for it.  Also there's an artist north of Toronto, Tamara Iverson, who specialized in outdoor papier-mache pieces.  I don't know how to contact her right now, but when I find out I'll let you know.  I hope this helps, if I try the above method, again, I'll let you know.

Bette Wallenius
Huntsville, ON, Canada

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Weatherproofing Outdoor peices...any ideas?

Board footer