HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

paper wings??

#1 2006-09-26 15:16:27

fairymom

paper wings??

has anyone here tried making paper wings?? Im trying to make wings that looks kinda real for halloween.  I m thinking something light, light paint on it so the light can go through the wings( more authenic looking). does anyone know what kind of paper I should use and what kind of paint would work good?

btw Im totally new to this pm thing

#2 2006-09-26 16:42:38

dopapier

Re: paper wings??

:shock:
It depends what size of wings you are thinking of and how strong you want them to be.
If they are to be person size, you need some sort of frame to carry the lightweight material and paper is not necessarily the most suitable.
You could use a wire frame, providing you make the ends safe.  Binding one length of wire to another with tape or thread soaked in PVA would strengthen it.  Build a lattice structure which looks a bit like the veins in a transparent wing.
Then you lay your material over.  This might be tissue paper well brushed with PVA, in several layers.  Doing this you can incorporate colours, either in the tissue paper or with watercolour paints in the PVA.  If you need to support it while drying, use plastic sheet to prevent it sticking to your table!
Alternatively thin net curtaining or muslin might be an option.
Good luck.
DavidO tongue

I'm a PM addict

#3 2006-09-27 01:21:59

sebrink
Website

There are lots of different things you can use but you need to make an armature first.  Either from wood or sturdy wire.  Then you can cover with paper.  Newsprint is good for Halloween costumes because it is free and you probably already have some laying around...plus you'd be recycling.  Other options would be fabric (e.g. old bedsheet) soaked in glue, paper towels, tissue paper, or office paper.  If you use toilet paper make sure it is not already used.

If you want a translucent effect try using mosquito netting soaked in glue and then paint with semi-transparent paint or a light coat of spray paint.

Here is a link to a guy who made a set of wings from corrugated plastic campaign signs: http://www.cockeyed.com/incredible/wings/wings.html

smile

#4 2006-09-27 12:47:22

Mischief
Website

Hi, as David said it depends on the size your thinking of making and the time span in which to make the wings. There is also the question is pm the right material for the project?

If you want quick easy and yet still practical I would suggest wire coat hangers, one per wing if you want small ones or two for each side if you want them larger. You can bend and manipulate them into any shape you want.

Use the hooks on the hangers to bend and join each side together and make sure all shape edges are tucked away or cut off. I'd wear garden gloves or something to protect your hands when doing this. When done use strong duck tape to bind the middle securely. This makes them totally safe to wear with nothing sticking in your back.

Now you can use some women's tights (any colour you like) to give the wings a semi transparent look by cutting off the legs and using them to slip over each of the wire wings. Use one leg for each coat hanger and cut of excess. A little stitching with cotton and thread will help hold the tights in place. Around the middle section between the wings use any left over pieces from the tights to tightly wrap around the duck tape area then stitch it. The extra time spent doing this really helps the wings integrity stay strong so they don't fall apart, especial if they are large.

You can also attach two loops of elastic (the kind used in the waists of leggings or track suit bottoms) to either side of the middle so you can use them to slip your arms through later. Cut elastic to required length before attaching.

Now for the fun bit. You can use just about any thing to decorate the wings, spray glitter, fabric paint, sequins.... use your imagination.

I made some for someone last year, which took all of one afternoon if you don't include the drying time of the paint and glue. If you want to hide the elastic around the tops of your arms and the center piece, try an hold waist coat. I cut a horizontal slit in the back of one, feed the elastic and middle section through leaving only the wings visible on the out side of the waistcoat and then sewed the split between the wings neatly up. When the person then wore the waist coat the elastic and middle section was hidden beneath and only the wings poked through.

Hope this helps, I know its not pm but it looks really effective when finished and really light to wear.

~~*~~*~~
(AKA) Jilly T.

Board footer