HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Oil of Wintergreen

#1 2002-03-22 18:01:51

Oil of Wintergreen

I have a pulp recipe that calls for either oil of wintergreen or oil of cloves.  Does anyone else use these?  Where would I find these strange ingredients (craft shop? drug store? Lowes? Radio Shack?).  I'm new to papier mache (not counting 4th grade) and would like to try out some of the techniques I found in Juliet Bawden's nice book, but I have no clue where to look for this stuff.

Also, can anyone tell me who are the most famous papier mache artists?  I'd like to check out their work and try to figure out what makes them "successful".

Many thanx -- Peter

#2 2002-03-22 21:06:50

Re: Oil of Wintergreen

Hello Peter,
The products that you are looking for are used to help stop molding while papier mache is drying, You can also use Salt, easier to find!!
I do Not use these in my works, I find that the use of fans WITHOUT heat is the best solution and I have no problems with molding at all, you must ensure that the work has a good air flow circulation including the bottom, I stand mine on old cake racks and put the whole thing on top of an upturned fan
Hope this helps, look forward to hearing your progress, if i can help further please post
Terry
www.terryspapiermache.com

#3 2002-03-24 11:36:06

Peter,

These oils are called "essential oils" and are often used for aromatherapy. They should be easy to find in herbalist shops. If you really want to experiment with them instead of salt I would recommend oil of clove, which is a very powerful antibiotic and is even a skin irritant (and melts some plastics!).

One caveat: in my experience these oils are volatile in open air, so I'm not sure they would provide a permanent antibiotic effect unless your finish (such as lacquer) seals them in.

Rick

#4 2002-03-24 13:35:40

Peter,
I also use the recipe from JB's book.
I found a small bottle of Oil of Wintergreen at Fresh Fields. I don't know what area you live in so don't know if this store is familar to you.
Fresh Fields is a grocery/health food store.
The oil was in the aroma therapy section as one poster already  mentioned.
Check out health food stores in your area. If they don't have it, I am sure they could order it for you.
I paid less than $6.00  for a small bottle that will last me a long time.
Bonnie

PS Check out my paper mache list:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMfun

#5 2002-03-25 00:35:45

Hi Peter,

In answer to your question about papier mache artists, the most famous name that I have come across who works with papier mache (along with other mediums) is the Mexican artist SERGIO BUSTAMANTE. If you do a search on Google you will be able to find galleries that show his work.

Jackie

#6 2002-03-25 15:49:45

Thanks to everyone for your advice and info.  This weekend I made a bowl using the layering (strips) technique.  I also made some pulp.  The result was pretty lumpy, which looks okay (especially if sanded a bit and antiqued), but I wonder how one goes about creating a smooth finish with pulp.  My book (The Art and Craft of Papier Mache) suggests a coating of gesso, which is composed of plaster and "rabbit skin size" (!?).  Anyone else have ideas on how to smooth out bumpy pulp surfaces?

Also, I'm using chalk as a filler in my pulp recipe.  Rather than grind up sticks of school chalk (as I did in this first experiment) I would rather purchase powdered chalk, which I've read is available -- "out there".  Have any of you every bought powdered chalk, and can you tell where you found it? (I already tried Lowes).

Thanks again for your guidance -- Peter

#7 2002-03-25 22:33:20

Peter,
I use metal files to make my pulp objects smooth. I
have tried sandpaper & for the life of me cannot figure out
how anyone makes pm smooth
with it.
Then I coat my figure with  light coating of Pebeo Modeling paste.
I have tried other modeling paste and the Pebeo brand is the best.

Bonnie

Come and join my list
I bet you would like it! smile
http://groups.yahoo.com/group.pmfun

#8 2002-04-16 11:46:56

If you haven't found it yet, I think you can find powerded chalk at aplace where they do stained glass or gallery glass or whatever you call that window treatment.

#9 2002-04-23 18:36:45

Powdered chalk can be found out art supply stores, such as Daniel Smith (800-426-6740), Dick Blick, or the Art Store.

#10 2002-05-01 23:57:15

hi there peter, when i first started pm i couldn't figure out what i was doing wrong, nothing i tried seemed to help, until one day while filling a spot on my living room wall where my wall sconce sort of disintegrated, using miuti=purpose polyfiller, something suddenly CLICKED!!!!!! well needless to say I have been finishing off my pm works of art with a thin layer of pre-mixed polyfiller- the brand I get here is 'Polycell" an ICI company in the UK. the finish is so smooth, I have a hard time convincing people that the beautiful basket of flowers they just paid me for is actually made from old newspapers, PVA glue, patience, and a lot of bs&t (blood, sweat and tears)and oil of clove???why, that's a sure fire remedy for a mind boggling toothache-it kills the nerves!!!!!! however, you could get both oil of clove/wintergreen from a pharmacy - they are essential oils. Happy P.Ming lynne

#11 2002-05-05 20:30:13

can anyone reccommend me some good sites for a beginner to learn how to make paper mache..projects..free..on the internet..
many thanx
gemma

#12 2002-05-06 16:27:15

Howdy Guys & Gals!!!
     Hi, I'm pretty young (in the fifth grade!) and for school we have to make somekind of display and  I chose papier mache  (paper mache)I need some info. on it!!! Please reply soon!
                    Thanx!
             Lex

Board footer