HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

How to Make Smooth Surface PM?

#1 2006-03-26 18:32:06

PapierPrincess

How to Make Smooth Surface PM?

I'm new to PM and will begin sometime working on my first PM project real soon.  My question is how to make the surface smooth? I know some PM can show some lines, like newspaper strip, on it.  If you go on the website under www.papierpeopleoriginals.com and there's a picture of a little boy with a smooth face.  There is no lines or anything like that - how??  Clay? Bear with me, I'm learning.  smile

#2 2006-03-26 19:18:56

Moni

Re: How to Make Smooth Surface PM?

I am not positive but I think those faces are made from a premade paper mache like Celluclay. I have never used it but it is supposed to make a smooth finished surface. Hope that helps. big_smile

My cat is my best friend!

#3 2006-03-26 23:04:05

sebrink
Website

You were not clear as to the method of paper mache you will be using.  If you are using pulp (i.e. true papier-mache) then you can sand the work to get a smooth surface.  If you are doing layered paper mache (like with newspaper) then it is more difficult to get a smooth surface because of the seams.  I usually use paper towels instead of newspaper since the seams don't show nearly as much.

smile

#4 2006-03-27 00:08:31

PapierPrincess

Wow! I didn't know you could also use papertowel.  I also read that toilet paper can be used, too.  I wonder what type of PM that most artists use for their PM collection, like Lori Mitchell?  I think I saw her article somewhere in "Country Living" magazine that she explained how to use it.  I'll have to go to the library and pull out their past issues to find it.

#5 2006-03-27 04:17:27

CatPerson

I think the best thing for you to do is a bit of experimenting in small, simple projects, using each kind of the PM.  That way, you will have a far better idea which method to use on your various kinds of projects (PM is addictive, so BEWARE!   :twisted: )

Oh, and if you just do some experimental surface work on your cat's dishes.... lay some plastic wrap over the dish or saucer before you apply the PM.   :oops:  My cats had to eat out of my cereal bowls due an.... ah...  unfortunate incident involving PM on their dishes.  However, I did replace theirs with a nice set from the thrift shop.

Sue

#6 2006-03-27 05:10:19

PapierPrincess

Thanks, CatPerson! Poor kitty about their cat bowl! I think it's funny, bear with me.   Yes, it's a good idea for me to start something simple to experiment first before getting serious with PM.

#7 2006-03-27 22:55:20

sebrink
Website

Wow! I didn't know you could also use papertowel.  I also read that toilet paper can be used, too.  I wonder what type of PM that most artists use for their PM collection, like Lori Mitchell?  I think I saw her article somewhere in "Country Living" magazine that she explained how to use it.  I'll have to go to the library and pull out their past issues to find it.

PP- I use Scott's Shop Towels which are blue in color and much stronger than regular kitchen towles.  You can get them at any hardware store.  This is pretty much the only thing I use for the outter layers of my PM sculpture because it eliminates the seems that you get from newsprint.  Here is a link to a popular artist using them on his sculpture (specifically see step 16): http://www.rochonsculpture.artspan.com/links.php?5319

smile

#8 2006-03-28 01:00:13

PapierPrincess

Sebrink - thanks for the link! I read it and was amazed how he put it together.  I think it's a great idea, especially it's more stronger than a regular paper towel.  I will add this one as another experiment for me to try.

#9 2006-03-30 06:10:52

CatPerson

If you haven't seen it yet, look at the site recommended in the post "OK! Where does one begin to make this chair?"  The processes they used for flat PM was pretty complicated, and would be difficult to make today. But it does tell how they made it flat!

Sue

Board footer