HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

pre-shinking paper

#1 2006-03-16 21:08:42

Laughing Mozzie

pre-shinking paper

One of the problems I have making PM maodels is the shrinkage of the PM when dry. With cotton fabric you can pre-shrink the cloth so it won't shrink when washed. Is it possible to pre-shrink paper or does it swell back-up when layered as PM?

Any tricks for managing the shinking.

#2 2006-03-16 21:14:06

EllenEggers
Website

Re: pre-shinking paper

One of the problems I have making PM maodels is the shrinkage of the PM when dry. With cotton fabric you can pre-shrink the cloth so it won't shrink when washed. Is it possible to pre-shrink paper or does it swell back-up when layered as PM?

Any tricks for managing the shinking.

the only thing i can think of that limits shrinkage is the amount of water/liquid used in the pasting or pulping process.. if you can reduce this to a bare minimum then your shrinkage should reduce as well

#3 2006-03-16 21:30:35

DaveyB
Website

Not sure how useful this is, but you stretch paper by thoroughly wetting it, lay it flat on a board and then using gum strip on all 4 sides to hold it. As it shrinks, it doesn't cockle as normally happens with wet paper.
This is used when you want to paint something with watercolour paint on some of the less heavy papers.
Now, I don't know what happens if you cut your paper free and then re-wet it, but it might be worth trying.

I have a shed I am complete

#4 2006-03-17 04:06:25

CatPerson

I am thinking that the shrinkage is from the moisture evaporating from the mix, as the water/glue mixture does take up space.

I am going to try adding whiting/chalk on a project soon, if I can find my blender for mixing.  Otherwise, it's off to Goodwill to find another one.  I am hoping that the whiting takes up enough space in itself to limit the shrinking.  We shall see.

sue

#5 2006-03-17 04:47:27

DaveyB
Website

I don't think paper shrinks, I think it expands when wet and then just reverts to it's previous state.

I have a shed I am complete

#6 2006-03-17 09:46:19

Mischief
Website

In my experience it is certainly the amount of water in the mix. By reducing this, the less strinkage I get.

Shrinkage however can serve a purpose. As the piece shrinks when drying, so it draws in all the fibers binding them more tightly together giving it added strength and durability. This of course sometimes gives the surface a wrinkled or uneven finish when the piece is fully dried out,  but nothing that can't be remedied if wished. I've found with sanding or adding a thinner layer of a smoother mix, it eventually gives me the desired finish.
Smooth as a babies bum!

~~*~~*~~
(AKA) Jilly T.

#7 2006-03-17 15:58:48

dopapier

big_smile  Davey has made the point, which I'll just reinforce.  Paper expands with moisture and reverts when dry.  For laminating, use a paste which has a consistency of creme fraiche and use only a smear.  If you are pulping, have minimum moisture - just enough to make it mouldable.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#8 2006-03-17 17:45:56

CatPerson

I think both those facts come into play.

I've also read that you need to add an adequate amount of water to mix Celluclay to get a smooth mix.  I might have found a partial solution at the Dollar Store the other day:  an 11"/28cm diameter thing to prevent grease spatters from escaping the frying pan.  It is flat & circular with a handle, and a fine metal mesh covering the circle.  The mesh is so fine that I think I can make a fairly sloppy mix, then plop it onto the strainer (over a bowl) and squeeze a lot of liquid out, then press it into the mold or onto the surface.

Another experiment awaiting trial!  WHERE IS THAT @*#&$%! blender?!

Sue

Board footer