HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Latest Projects?

#1 2006-02-23 13:44:17

DaveyB
Website

Latest Projects?

Out of interest, what's everyone working on at the moment?
I'm inspired by the sculpture of Quinto Ghermandi (sp?) and trying to create some sort of giant abstract thing (anyone with ideas how to get an oxidized metal effect with paints?) Then hoping to create a relief PM version of a cubist painting of Dolbadarn Castle I did last year. Although I do have 3 pieces of PM in various stages of sanding and painting that I really should get back to at some point wink

I have a shed I am complete

#2 2006-02-24 01:07:21

sebrink
Website

Re: Latest Projects?

There are several commercial patina/antiquing finishes on the market.  The ones I've used consist of a metalic base paint followed by a substance that sort-of activates the system to create the patina effect.  It's been a while since I've used it so I don't remember the brand and I checked my workshop and didn't find it (not that I can find anything in there).  I must have tossed it out.  I also have seen a product that can go in between the base coat and the patina coat to block the patina in select areas.  This can create an interesting effect.  But I've never used it.  I have seen these products in my local art stores in the faux finishing sections.

Currently, I am finishing-up a pop-art sculpture of Pac-man and his ghost enemies.  Should be done this weekend.

smile

#3 2006-02-24 04:48:36

copperpot

Hi. Both you guys' current projects sound really intersting..
Nice idea for a thread, is fun to see what other peeps are working on atm.

Just tonight I watched a documentry on gaming, big stuff that.
It was kind of neat to come on and see sebrink had PM'd one of the most famous games in history.

Of course castles always sound quite exciting.  smile

My current projects having been waiting for me to pay attention to them for some time now.
The hot air balloon only requires one more coat of PM, a basket, and some paint.
The tombstones are neverending really, can never have enough tombstones  wink
The scarecrows however are what I would like to be getting on with, I've never made one of any sort and I have it my head that I think it sounds prettty fun.
I'm still pretty new to paper mache really so I'm slow.. lol I get really excited about it for a while and then I put it down while something else catches my attention.

#4 2006-02-26 19:19:59

CatPerson

I am working on (just beginning) a series of lifesized cats in different lifelike positions.  And I want to make them look like real cats, which will be the real trick.  "Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?"  I am assuming that applies to women also....

DaveyB, I have seen "fake" patinas that looked wonderful... maybe even better than the real thing.  It looked like they used regular metallic paints, then used flat paint in an appropriate color for the patina.  Consider use of a stencil brush for application.

Sebrink:  "I checked my workshop and didn't find it (not that I can find anything in there). I must have tossed it out."  WHAT??? You actually THROW stuff OUT?  I'm awful:  I don't throw anything out until it's totally unusable, and THAT'S why *I* can't find anything!

Copperpot:  Scarecrows among the tombstones?  COOL!

Sue

#5 2006-03-08 17:24:04

Moni

DaveyB,
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum but I think it is a great source information.  big_smile I am familiar with the metallic products that you are interested in using. Basically they are metals (chips or flakes?) in a base that you paint on and then you brush on the oxidizer that either rusts or oxidizes the finish. I am not sure if there are different patinas to choose from but I would think that there is. I am currently working on a "lifesize" baby giraffe.

My cat is my best friend!

#6 2006-03-08 17:37:54

DaveyB
Website

Thanks.
I know about the various metallics. I want to try with just normal acrylics though. So I was just wondering about various colour combinations (as I don't have any oxidized metals to look at for reference

I have a shed I am complete

Board footer