HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » career as a craftworker in papier mache

career as a craftworker in papier mache

#1 2002-02-22 19:38:08

career as a craftworker in papier mache

I have made a few items out of papier mache which I have sold at craft fairs and via a shop in London. However my "success" has been somewhat limited and I was wondering if anyone has been more successful in this area. Also I find that the things I have made took longer than I had first anticipated (lots of layers to glue!)  so becoming a bit labour intensive. Any feedback would be most appreciated, thanks.

#2 2002-02-25 02:48:10

Re: career as a craftworker in papier mache

David!  I'm looking for exactly the same help.  Living in Chicago, I'm doing construction to earn a living, but my passion is making sculptures from paper.  Would you mind e-mailing me with any info you get?  I'll be glad to do the same.   Thanks a million! Rene_Gracias@yahoo.com

#3 2002-02-25 18:22:53

Hello David and Rene,
I have been working in Papier Mache for the past 10 years and like most craft businesses its Tough and a very hard way to eek out a living. You need as much exposure as possible, and there are some very good craft business groups out there that are a Big help in getting your name out.Try listing items with eBay, I do that but not yet too successfuly, I am told  that it takes a long time to get a following. Most of my work are sold in Craft fairs and Markets etc, the down side to this is that there is twice the ammount of time spent on it by spending days at fairs etc.  My advise, try every angle, and sometimes you have to sell at a loss time wise to build up a following. I also find that I get more works made (time wise) by using mainly Pulped Papier Mache.
I realize that I may seem not too encouraging, rather honest about the monetary side of things.  Do you have a web site? again it takes I am told a good year to get it up and going and extreemely time consuming, keep your customers addresses and do mailings etc, above all hang in there
Please visit my site
www.terryspapiermache.com
I am also moderator of ":The Paper Pulpers" of which Jackie is a great contributing member
PulpedPapierMache-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
If I can help further, please contact me
Terry

#4 2002-03-17 01:28:24

To add, I think that you have to get or develop a gimmick for your work.  You have to perfect whatever it is that you like doing with the paper and perfect the time that it takes to do what you like to do.  Time is money.    I call this 'putting a method to the maddness
Now, those special pieces may take some time and pampering

#5 2002-04-22 15:30:53

HI there. I see that i am not alone at this. It's nice to see others interested in papier mache. First it takes a lone time to get your name known, it is not done over night.As one fellow said, perfect what you are good at.I started maiking all kinds of animals and i sold most of them, but i soon found that the cow was the best seller i had, so i started to make only cows.There has not been one cow that i've made that did not sell. I started to sell them in botiques, little shops, but soon saw that i was not making enough money. Yes i did try craft fairs,that was not very good and it took all my time just being there. So do you do, well i took them to ART GALLARIES and to me that was the answer. First the price went up, but the quality of your work must go with it to. So i had to make them much stronger, because we all know that regular papier mache will not last. The item must go with the price. I must say finding art gallaries is not an easy task. Not every one will take papier mache, some don't even want to see it. Be persistant and you will find. hope this answers some of yiour questions.GOOD LUCK  JACQUES.

#6 2002-04-24 16:59:08

Wonderful responses for David. The key one -- don't get discouraged. I would also like to add this -- pursue your art because you love doing it, because you love entering that no-time zone. Your finished piece will reflect the "heart" you've put into it. I believe that makes the piece more desirable, thus sellable. If you go at it with the intent to make money, you'll be disappointed. Do it with heart and the money will come.

#7 2002-05-10 14:42:31

Hi everybody, I live in Holland and I am working with papier-mache for a year of 6 now. First I did simple forms like bowls and now my work developped more complicated. I recognize a lot in the reaction of Karen. The most important is to take the time to make make every piece with all your heart. I too believe that people feel that energy in it. I am lucky to sell my work in galleries but I have to accept that I earn more money for my paintings than for my papier-mache works. Although it takes far more time and energy to make the papier-mache. I think that people don't realize how labour intensive it is, but I have confidence  that more people are going to appreciate the value and beauty of papier-mache work.
Succes and don't give up!
Maria

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » career as a craftworker in papier mache

Board footer