HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Is it possible to make a living being a papier mache artist?

Is it possible to make a living being a papier mache artist?

#1 2004-06-30 16:52:56

melanie

Is it possible to make a living being a papier mache artist?

I'd love to hear some inspirational [or not] stories from people who have left their full time jobs and ventured into the life of being a "starving artist"  :?

I currently live in London but am planning a move to South Africa in the next year or two.  I'd love to hear from people who've made the change and if it's worked out for you ie. how you've sold your work - flea markets etc. and what kind of items have proved most popular.

Thanks!

#2 2005-06-16 11:35:50

Mayott

Re: Is it possible to make a living being a papier mache artist?

Hi melanie,

Well i thought about doing that for some time, but i think its too risky given that each item takes some time to finish, and you will need to create enough items to sell and make living out of them.
I guess you might need to prepare a large number at first and then try to sell them. Unfortunately at the flee market they will be sold for peanuts. Another idea is to do big items and display them in coffee shops/restaurants and maybe pay a small fee for the place or maybe also let them keep one of them for their decoration.
Good luck !
mayott

#3 2005-09-02 14:10:23

Alice James

I was an artist sculpting stone and engraving objects in my own studio for several years in a shopping mall in Dallas.  I can tell you that it was not all the fun and glamor that folks think it would be.  You work your tail off, get almost enough money to make your operating expenses, and salesmen hound you on the phone every ten to fifteen minutes, while you are trying to help customers, work on the advertising layout in the local newspaper, finish a project, and just stay afloat.
If you want to be an artist, a real paid artist, my suggestion would be to start with a booth in a craft mall.  They will handle the paperwork and taxes for you for a small comision, they take care of security, and you have more time to actually work your peices.  Find a good one, the classy kind, not the cheesy year-round garage sale kind.  A good eyecatching booth style will help your sales, and keep it mechandised.  Check the booth at least every other day for dust, litter, broken peices, or just getting shuffled around.
Another good way to go is the internet.  You will reach more folks than just the locals, and if you have quality stuff and low prices, it should sell easily enough.  one word of caution though.....
Today's gas prices are going to influence shoppers.  They are going to look for cute, durable, and really givaway prices or nothing at all because all their budget is going to be eaten up by neccesities.  Do not expect to actually live off of the proceeds of your work for more than a decade.  It will take that long to make a name for yourself, build a repeat customer base, and set up a decent spreadsheet on trends of sales, and what sells well when.  Eventually you will become world known, not just to your PM buddies, but to buyers looking for that unique object d'art for the Hotel Lobby.
I am new to paper mache' but I hope that this imput helps.

Life is best lived awake.

#4 2005-09-08 23:08:34

rozani
Website

Hi Malanie. big_smile

I would just like to say that yours is a very good question.  It is relative to one's particular situation.  I have been able to make a good income from my mache related art.  The reason is that I have tied it into my costume designing.  I also do my own marketing, advertising and web design; just to name a few.

In my instance, I do not have a house or a car note.  Indeed, everything I make is recycled into the business.  It pays for every one of my expenses.  It also pays for my business leisure which is totally tax deductible.  This means, hotels and booth fees from festival related activities and/or conventions.

Right now, I am in my peak mask making season.  That is great for all of my mache creations.  This includes, but is not limited to props and costume accessories such as walking staffs, headpieces and pumpkins.  By far, Fall is my most popular mache season.  It is followed closely by Spring. 

I would suggst that you target your market specifically.  Find your main and most popular item on which to fucus.  Next, publicize it by means such as workshops, festivals, private showings and networking with libraries and organizations.  Give away donations for auctions, benefits, etc.  Send press releases whenever possible.  Last, but not least, keep excellent records.

Hope this helps.

Rozani

#5 2005-12-02 19:59:28

butterbee

Rozani: I would just like to say that it is inspiring to know that have been able to make a good income from your mache related art. I didn't even know that was possible!

I have no future plans to make a living off of papier-mache but it is nice to know that someone was able to make it work.

I tip my hat to you. big_smile

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Is it possible to make a living being a papier mache artist?

Board footer