HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Spray Finishes

#1 2002-01-31 14:03:00

Spray Finishes

Hi all, Great site!!!
I'm fairly new to PM, Is there a suitable 'spray Varnish' or other spray selant that people use? I'm currently using a paint-on acrylic varnish.

#2 2002-01-31 20:21:26

Re: Spray Finishes

Hi Nick
Yes this is a Great Site.

You will find that there are numerous "spray varnishes" available in craft stores. I am in Canada but I know of people in UK that use them. I personally like oil based varnishes because  the paints that I use would smudge if I used a water based ones, however if you are using acylic paints a water based one would be fine. I like to use varnishes and urathanes etc that are manufactured for home painting from Paint stores I also find this to be much less expensive as I use a lot of it!!  I also personally prefer to brush it on, hoping this is more Earth friendly.
You say you are "fairly new" to the Wonderful World of Papier Mache...............Please, tell us more!!.what are your projects? I visit this site often, and if there is anything that I can help you with (and I do NOT have all the answers LOL) please post
Good luck with your PM
Terry

#3 2002-02-02 00:16:41

Hello Nick,

I suppose using spray varnish must be a lot quicker and probably give a more even coat, but I don't use it - it's too expensive and I can't stand the fumes! I occasionally use watered down pva glue as a final sealer (it gives a soft sheen) and I find when using varnish, that a wide paintbrush saves time! yikes)

Jackie

#4 2002-02-02 09:47:08

'Terry, thanks for the info -will look out for some in craft shops. As to what I'm Up to - just starting really. Ive just finished (apart from varnish) a small pulp bowl in gold/bronze acrylic paint -I'm quite pleased with it for a first effort. I'm just about to paint a fish made from a chicken wire frame/paper strips construction, I have another Pulp bowl -which I hope to sand smooth, and I've Just started a -small "breaking through the wall" monster face with the kids. Thanks Nick'

#5 2002-02-02 20:26:39

Thanks Jackie,
Is the pva sealant water resistant?
Also, does newspaper ink have any harmfull chemicals in it these days (not that I'm going to eat it!!), just that it used to have toxic stuff in it along time ago.

Nick

#6 2002-02-03 17:59:57

Hi Nick,

PVA glue is excellent to make your papier mache waterproof. Though to do this you will have to use it undiluted (2 or 3 coats). I will have to pass on the next question though - is printing ink toxic? I wouldn't have thought it was, but you've got me thinking now! yikes) A lot of it comes out when you boil the newspaper. I do know that it is annoying...all the utensils you use turn out black...perhaps someone elso knows?

Jackie

#7 2002-03-20 23:02:26

Hello,

What a cool group this is!!!  Loads of paper mache" people!!!  I'm in heaven!

I'm new to paper mache' but really enjoy it. 

Questions:  What is pva glue...isn't it just white glue?  And what do you all use to waterproof vases, bowls and outside art?  What do you use as a fire retardant?

So happy to be here...
~enjoy
julie

#8 2002-03-21 15:04:48

Hello Julie,

Welcome to the world of papier mache.  I'm sure you will soon get hooked like the rest of us!  yikes)

Yes PVA is just white glue, which makes a wonderful sealer - buy the proper stuff though, not the childrens' glue.

What to use as a fire retardent?...anyone know the best way to do this?

Jackie

#9 2002-08-28 02:39:00

Hi Jackie,
Just discovered this web site.  Am getting back into papier mache after working with paper collage for awhile.  I'm reading The Art and Craft of Papier Mache by Juliet Bawden.  She mentions  painting objects that are going to be placed near heat with fire retardant which she suggests can be found at theatrical prop shops and some hardware stores. (p. 25)
Now that I found this site, I'll keep glued. (ha ha)
Judith

Board footer