HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

cardboard furniture

#1 2005-10-08 18:53:59

yula
Website

cardboard furniture

Hi all,

Yes, I know this topic had been up a few times, but I can't help wanting to know and learn more of "how-to" carton furniture. Unfortunately, in the US, I have not found any schools/classes of the sort. I am eager to make a desk for my daughter and seeking advise.
Does anybody know of a good book, any book, with carton furniture instructions in ENGLISH. I know this area is very developed in France, alas, I'm an English speaker/reader.
So- any referance- to a book, a dvd, a tutorial (that has been promised before) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Thanks

#2 2005-10-09 19:45:00

lyn

Re: cardboard furniture

Hi,

Does it really need to be made out of cardboard? You could use styrofoam instead. I am using two, square chunks of foam that came out of a microwave box for the top of a table and a small styrofoam cooler that someone gave me, will be the base.

Sorry, I do not know of any books.  sad

#3 2005-10-18 02:38:34

yula
Website

Thanx for the reply, but I really mean cardboard, as have been discussed on this forum before.

Check out this link: http://www.compagnie-bleuzen.com/indexe.htm
to get an idea of things made from kartons.

I am still hopeful that in the near future someone will be kind and write a simple tutorial with basic aspects of making cardboard furniture- in this web site.    (Melf?)

Meanwhile- I am still looking and searching for a book or something...

Thanks

#4 2005-10-18 20:54:10

lyn

Oh, I see what you mean, thats a great website! In fact, they pretty much tell you and show you how to do it right there, it doesn't look that hard to figure out. They even sell a video on it. Have you asked them if they have an English version of it?

#5 2005-10-18 23:30:56

yula
Website

Hi Lyn,

Yes, I did- it's all in French. Yet, I will probably eventually purchase the dvd (even though it's not that EZ cause you need to go to the bank, have them sign some papers and send money in Euro- but i will do it...)

From the web site it does look EZ- I know- but don't let that mislead you- there are matters of strength calculations and more.
Bottom line- it shouldn't be that hard, but one must understand the exact basics and technique.

I just thought that somewhere in the big USA or Canada there will be someone who knows/wrote about it-
I reckon there's a whole new field out there to explore.

Thanks

#6 2005-10-21 16:58:46

Mischief
Website

Those pieces are wonderful and I only wish I had time to make more furniture myself. The pedestal throne in my gallery has been totally created from cardboard, paperstrips, paste and pulp. It stands (H)141cms and the seat is 46cms in diameter. I have made it to last but can't say exactly how much it will take in weight, to date the heaviest person to sit in it told me he weighs 18 stone.... and its still standing without a crack or any sign of stress.

I have made various pieces of furniture and always use the same materials listed above. Sadly in the past I have not be good at keeping photographic evidense of such pieces and it as only been since being on the internet that I have become more conscious of taking photos of my pieces.

Some time ago I started some book shelves but have been way laid by other commissions and projects, so it has sat patiently waiting for me to get on with it. I did actually take a photo of it in the early paper paste, pulp process, just after completing the structure, you can still see some of the cardboard not yet covered. If things quieten down a little I shall start again on it and put together some instructual text with photos if people would like.

~~*~~*~~
(AKA) Jilly T.

#7 2005-10-21 19:03:33

yula
Website

Thank you, we will be waiting.
Did you post a photo of the half-done shelves?

Thanks

#8 2005-10-23 18:29:46

dopapier

Nice to see you around again Mischief.  Yes, I for one would like to see the pix.
DavidO roll

I'm a PM addict

#9 2005-10-29 16:28:39

butterbee

I am waiting anxiously for the tutorial as well.  I have made a few small pieces of furniture out of cardboard and papier-mache but never anything as huge as a desk.

I just glued more than one piece of cardboard together to make it thicker and stronger and papier-mached over that and put the pieces together like pressed wood.

Board footer