HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Can you PM over old shoes?

#1 2005-08-19 20:04:58

trixyinaz

Can you PM over old shoes?

I want to preserve my daughters first pair of shoes and don't want to do the "bronzing" thing.  I thought it would be really cool to paper mache them on a paper mached pedaetal and decorate them.  I thought I would ask here first before trying...I would hate to ruin them.

Also, if you can PM shoes (I think they are leather uppers and rubber soles), should I PM them and glue them to the pedastle with an epoxy type glue or PM them directly on the pedestal?

ETA:  One more thing...in your expert opinions, should I do the paper pulp or strips?  I'm dying to experiment with the pulp and can't wait to make a batch of Melf's recipe. 

Thanks again and sorry for all the questions these past few days. 

vicki

#2 2005-08-20 12:02:30

tammywilson161@hotmail.co

Re: Can you PM over old shoes?

You can pm over just about anything.  Pulp might take away some of the details of the shoes.  I would Strip/paste them using a strong, yet lightweight paper like rice paper or paper with cotton in it and a strong glue.Good Luck~tammy

#3 2005-08-20 12:05:21

trixyinaz

Tammy - thanks!

I tried to email you yesterday about the macaroni question you had.  Did you try it?  I was wondering the same thing earlier this week.  I used some macaroni in a piece that I am making.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Vicki

#4 2005-08-20 15:33:26

dopapier

Another possibility is to paper layer but to preserve the shoe underneath.  To do this, cover the shoe in clingfilm and then layer.  It doesn't matter if the adhesive is in contact with the film because it will peel away if ever you need to.   You can then paint the layered paper, gold it, cover it in tapioca (!) or whatever you want to do.
By the way, if your picture is anything to go by, you are due for a makeover!!!
smile
David

I'm a PM addict

#5 2005-08-20 15:44:14

yula
Website

Dopapier, what do you mean tapioca? Or did I miss a joke?

yula

Thanks

#6 2005-08-20 19:39:16

trixyinaz

ROTFLMAO....that was hysterical, David!  You mean you don't find me attractive?   wink   No, that is one of my first paper mache's for a keepsake box that I did for my daughter.  I know, it still needs a makeover  lol

I'm with Yula, what do you mean by tapioca?  The tapioca I know of is a type of pudding.  I will definately try the saran wrap thing incase I mess it up.

#7 2005-09-02 07:04:10

Alice James

Saran wrap and tapioca..... Hmmm this site gets interesting suggestions sometimes.  :oops:

Life is best lived awake.

#8 2005-09-02 14:56:18

dopapier

Oh, well, 'tapioca' was being facetious, although there are strange, wonderful and interesting people (like Tammy) who do amazing things with it (like making paper pulp!).

I'm a PM addict

#9 2005-09-08 23:44:58

rozani
Website

Hi Vicki. lol

It's great to keep up the sense of humor.  I sure could use it right about now.  Anyway, here's my two cents worth....

Stuff the shoe to make it firm.  Use a cellophane or similar film over the shoes, as suggested.  Secondly, use 100% cotton muslin fabric strips which are torn into small pieces.  Dip them into your preferred medium and apply in a criss-cross fashion.  Follow the entire form of the shoe and cut out any sharp edges.  Later, trim excess and coat with gesso.  Allow to dry.  Paint in choice of color.

Using the overlaying method will allow you to remove the shoe as a shell.  If you leave the shoe in their, it may eventually become loose.  You may want to harden the shoe with laquer first.  Just a thought.

Hope this helps.

Rozani

#10 2005-09-12 17:25:43

trixyinaz

Thanks Rozani!  I will give it a whirl when I'm ready to start that project.

Board footer