HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Question about sculpting

#1 2005-09-02 15:07:19

Alice James

Question about sculpting

I am embarking on my first artistic project in several years.  A medical condition temporarily halted my artistic carreer several years ago, but I hope I am back now.  My question is has anyone attemped to actually sculpt details into dried pulp mache'?  I do not mean build it up after the fact, I mean carve away the lumpy places.  I have read several places where artists have suggested sanding a peice like wood, but could you go further, and actually use, like a Fordom tool with carving bits and sanding stones to give the paper peice delicate details?  I already have the tools, I used to detail brass with them.  I am wondering if the "hard " papier mache' is kind of like pressed wood used in construction, only a finer texture.

Life is best lived awake.

#2 2005-09-03 17:36:31

dopapier

Re: Question about sculpting

I've never sculpted pm but offer these thoughts.
To achieve a block big enough for carving would take yonks.  A decade perhaps for the drying????
PM is, naturally, rather fibrous, therefore there would be shredding, even with a sharp chisel.
I'd suggest that building up from an armature is best - positive sculpture rather than negative, as it were.
roll
DavidO (dopapier)

I'm a PM addict

#3 2005-09-08 23:29:01

rozani
Website

Re: Question about sculpting

Hi Alice.  big_smile

Yes.  I have actually carved papier mache by several means as follows:

Exacto knife
Sand Paper
Tooth Picks
Skewers

Sculpting includes pressing and forming.  Carving is another form unto itself, though it can be incorporated into sculptures such as stone or wood, etc.  Wet sculpture is hand formed in its raw stages; though can be assisted by different tools.  Such is the case with clay. 

The wonderful qualities of dry mache sculpture can allow the surface to be whittled or carved from some forms of pulp which are tightly packed and softly adhered.  That is to say, sticking to itself enough to allow for cutting without pulverizing the papier mache.

Liquid starch allows for that with closely packed pulp.  Proper care and selection of tools is always the consideration.  Some glues and adhesives do not allow for this.  It then becomes a matter of experimentation to see which works best for your project.

If you want to practice, just make a huge lump and begin to whittle.  If it falls apart, try sandpaper.  If that falls apart, try another type of adhesive or perhaps paperclay.

Hope this helps.

Rozani

Board footer