HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Gesso Questions

#1 2005-08-25 13:41:24

trixyinaz

Gesso Questions

I've never used this before so I am very unfamiliar with it.

As you know I am making a piggy bank for my daughter using wallpaper paste/white glue and strips. 

Question 1:  I finished all my layers and applied a coat of Gesso.  It seems to have "softened" my PM, but I am hoping that when the Gesso dries completely, it will be hard again.  Is this normal?

Question 2: How long does it take for Gesso to dry?  I painted last night and this morning my PM was still on the "soft" side. 

Question 3: How many coats of Gesso should I use?  Currently, you can see the edges of the paper strips (does that make sense) throughout the piece.  I would like a smoother finish where you can't see the strips.  I'm assuming from what I've read on these forums, I need to apply a coat, sand, coat, sand...  If I do this, will it yield a smoother finish and cover up the lines left by the paper strips?

TIA for all your help.

#2 2005-08-26 04:05:25

yula
Website

Re: Gesso Questions

I am no expert myself, BUT:

First: make sure your piece is completely dry before applying Gesso.
Second: Alsways try and let your pieces dry in a dry area where there is no humidity. Sometimes, that too, could soften the piece after applying Gesso.
Third: After applying Gesso- it is totaly up to you to decide upon the "look" you want your piece to have. I kind of like the piece to show the material it's made out of. It's imperfect, and that's what's so .... perfect about it. Also- don't forget all the color layer you are about to apply on top of the Gesso, so the paper strips won't show... especially with all those reds, blues, etc...
Last: yes indeed, s few layers of Gesso will harden the piece and you can always sand it to smooth. Again- don't expect it to be the "perfectly smooth plastic-like", but you can surely achieve a nice texture. On second thought- maybe you will get to that 100% smoothness- let us know. smile
Good luck and enjoy

Thanks

#3 2005-08-26 13:07:05

trixyinaz

Thanks Yula!  It's been humid here so that sounds like it is contributing to the softness.  Boy, it really does take a while to make one PM piece. 

Vicki

#4 2005-08-26 20:11:51

tammywilson161@hotmail.co

You really shouldn't be able to see the edges of the paper if you tear your strips before pasting them. lol

#5 2005-08-26 20:13:48

tammywilson161@hotmail.co

I wanted to add also that your object should not feel cool in your hand.  Coolness is an indication that your PM Is not thoroughly dry.

#6 2005-08-28 18:37:43

ChristianNinja
Website

Sanding the piece itself with rough then gradually uhh.... less rough? sand paper before applying anything to it will smooth it up a lot and ultimately make the strip edges dissapear texturwise.  Then when you gesso/paint it, no lines!

The Christian Ninja

Board footer