HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Forum NEWBIE!! A few suggestions needed

Forum NEWBIE!! A few suggestions needed

#1 2005-08-24 18:32:50

Costume_Crazy_83
Website

Forum NEWBIE!! A few suggestions needed

Hello! I just found this wonderful site today and wanted to join in on the fun of papier mache'. I'm not exactly a skilled papier artist, in fact I have to admit that I haven't done anything with this art form in years. I work mostly with fabrics and beads in my job. But there has been some new challenges brought to my attention.

:idea: The college theatre department (non-profit) I work for is bringing the Hindu tale of the "Ramayana" to the stage. I am in charge of overseeing the production of several dozen, very elaborate masks and headdresses.  :shock: I plan on building them with a fine wire mesh base. I really need help determining the most durable glue and paper to use.

Any help would be appreciated. wink

#2 2005-08-25 13:44:40

trixyinaz

Re: Forum NEWBIE!! A few suggestions needed

Welcome!  I am no expert, but I did want to tell you to check out the tutorials on this site.  They might have some suggestions that will meet your needs.  Good luck!

FWIW, I was reading a PM book that I just bought and they mention that a white glue adhesive will yield a stronger PM as opposed to a wallpaper paste adhesive.  Anyone here know the truth behind this?

#3 2005-08-26 20:18:45

tammywilson161@hotmail.co

The most durable of the glues that one can use for paper mache is Wellbond.  If you don't have access to this, try wood glue. It is much, much stronger than standand PVA or white glue.  Cotton Paper is probably one of the strongest papers you can use in relation to finished weight. (you might not want something too heavy for a wearable mask)

#4 2005-08-28 17:05:27

dopapier

Or use Kraft paper - the brown paper you get in parcel wrapping, paper bags, brown envelopes etc.  It yields very well when slightly moist with the adhesive and is strong and light. tongue
David

I'm a PM addict

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Forum NEWBIE!! A few suggestions needed

Board footer