HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Hello, I am new

#1 2005-06-28 04:30:54

waverly

Hello, I am new

Hello everyone,

I am an art student and have always loved to work with paper.  Recently, I have felt the desire to take my work to the third dimension and into papier mache, and so was very excited to find this site.  Do any of you seasoned papier mache-ists know of some tips for getting started?  So far, my papier mache experience has been limitted to covering origami forms.  I have looked at the tutorials on this site and found them to be most helpful, but still am not certain of what paste is the best for what I want to do.  I'd like to work with 3D forms and am also interested in surface textures.  Can anyone enlighten me on the uses of pulp in this context? 

~Waverly

#2 2005-06-29 12:27:01

tammywilson161@hotmail.co

Re: Hello, I am new

Hi- Welcome to the forum. I'm kinda new to this forum too, but Ive found that if you go back and read the tutorials and  previous posts , you can find a wealth of info and inspiration.  I have found a site (http://www.halloweenfear.com/Papermache.html) that can also help. LOL Tammy

#3 2005-07-02 06:14:05

butterbee

Hello Waverly and Tammy!

I have been on these forums for a little while, and I have noticed that even though they are *really* quiet when it usually comes to responses to questions, the best information on papier-mache on all of the internet can be found here. IMHO. wink

I definately wouldn't call myself a 'seasoned papier mache-ists', but it is my favorite medium of choice.

What glue to use seems to be a highly personal question depending on who you ask, but I, myself have been using wallpaper paste with just a bit of white glue added.

The best help I found for glue recipes was my local library by looking through all the papier-mache books they had.

I am a little confused about what exactly your question is about 'pulp in this context'. Do you mean as a 3D form as if you were using clay or do you hav something else in mind?

#4 2005-07-02 06:24:19

waverly

Hello and thank you for the welcome smile

I was wondering about the use of pulp on the surface of my pieces to create textures and details such as... let's say faces and hair or fur??  I've since found lot's on information in this forum, on this site, and in library books on the subject and use of pulp mache.  Any other tips you can give would be great smile

~waverly

#5 2005-07-02 06:35:43

butterbee

Are you making your pieces completely out of paper pulp, or are you doing a mixed medium of the paper pulp and something else (such as layered papier mache)?

I have made masks out of paper pulp. I have never tired hair or fur. I have only used homemade paper pulp so I know the texture is not as smooth as the paper clay you can buy.

I can tell you that it takes quite a bit of time for paper pulp to dry so if you wanted to use a huge lump of it, it  is going to take a LONG time to dry.( I used  soild lumps of paper pulp inside of tin can forums when I was making a
stool , and I am still not sure to this day the middles of them EVER actually dried - I still do use to stool at my work table though.  lol  )

I have seen people who are selling little paper clay sculptures on ebay of cute molded figurines so I guess it depends on how big of a project you want to work on.

Was I any help at ALL, or did I just make things a lot more confusing?  :oops:

#6 2005-07-21 16:12:22

rozani
Website

Welcome Waverly.

By now, perhaps, you may have found some answers to your questions.  Most of us have experimented with several techniques.  Sometimes, we discover new ones by accident.  There are some important things to consider when working on any project.

Here's what I mean.  Consider t big_smile he function of your paper; such as absorbancy, saturation, textural quality, etc.  The type of paper will influence the outcome of the effect.  Some paper is smoother, while others are rough.  Sometimes we combine pulp over paper or paper over pulp.  Other times we use simple pics or dental tools to create textures and detailing.

Suffice it to say, that if the paper does not work well, chances are that another type of paper is in order.  I personally prefer using paper towels to create pulp.  Als, I recently have enjoyed recycling my computer paper which dissolves nicely, yet also applies smoothly.

Hope this helps.

Board footer