HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

snowman

#1 2001-12-28 00:36:58

snowman

I would like to make a  large paper mache snowman.   Has any one made a paper mache snowman before?  If so, do you have any good suggestions?  Any problems?  Thanks!

#2 2002-01-07 00:03:59

Re: snowman

I am also interested in making a papiermache snowman,  if you receive information on how to make this snowman could you please forward me the information.  Greatly appreciated.  Thank You in advance.             RoseMarie

#3 2002-01-29 07:31:08

Re: snowman

Hello Heather and RoseMarie
I make lots of snowmen in numerous sizes and attire. I also love them.
I make mine from Pulped Papier Mache namely newsprint and flour, the peper is torn into small pices and boiled for about 1/2 hour on a rolling boil cooled strained squeezed and flour added approx 2/3 pulp to 1/3 flour
the armature is made from crumbled newpaper taped using masking tape into a ball
you will need 2 of these one smaller than the other ie body and head I drape layers of newspaper over the head secure tightly with tape and then use the same paper to go over body, thus joining the two together, this is your basic "skeleton" armature, be sure to make it smaller than the desired finished size. I then pulp over the whole thing, dry and then re pulp it again adding more details etc, this is the fun part and as it takes so long to dry you are able to work it over several days, each day will make the pulp more pliable like putty
When completely dry, I wait another week to be certain before painting it in white emulsion, then picking out colours using vinegar paint, these are basically Tempora powder paints mixed in vinegar  with a few drops of dish liquid added, when I'm happy with the result i coat it in an OIL based Varnish or Urathane, I will gladly send pics if you are interested or if I can be of further help, please feel free to contact me
Terry

Board footer