HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

papiermaché light objects

#1 2001-12-27 14:40:10

papiermaché light objects

I am looking for a recipe of papiermaché I can make shine-through obejcts from. I am planning to make a kind of rocks and other objects with a light inside. Who can help?

#2 2001-12-27 17:38:19

Re: papiermaché light objects

Maybe you can experiment with parchment paper or find a way to  put a shape to casting resin or experiment with making saran wrap into a mold, finishing with some kind of faux painting technique

#3 2002-02-16 21:10:48

Hi Pleter: I have never tried this but I read that if you wont to make something translucent, that you could use tissue paper (the thin kind that you wrap presents with, or the kind that the stores use when you purchase a blouse that they put in a box) It's just thin white paper. Now!!, coat it with varnish when it drys " it is supposed to be translucent". good luck let me know how it comes out.

#4 2002-06-23 17:47:35

I would be interested to hear how this project turned out, Pieter.  Every winter, I join in making willow and tissue paper lanterns for a community parade.  They are made on a willow armature, using only one or two layers of tissue, and the candle light shines through wonderfully.  I think that if you used a mould you could get the same effect for smaller items, but that larger ones would buckle and collapse.

Sue

#5 2002-06-24 03:11:18

Hello Pieter.

I use bleed resistant tissue paper as well as waxed paper.  Floral waxed tissue is also good.  Any  of these can be used and stiffened with liquid starch which will dry clear.  Make sure that if you use the colored paper that it does not bleed.  One day, I ran out of my tissue paper and used waxed paper on one of my masks.  It stuck just fine to the mold and popped right off, giving an interesting look to my mask.

Rozani

Board footer