HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Venetian Masks

#1 2005-01-13 03:18:23

Spider Jerusalem

Venetian Masks

Greetings, I have been planing this for a while but I want to get all my info arranged before I start. I wish to produce some Venetian style carnival masks, I have the basic information on how this is done but I've hit a snag, cracked glaze finishes. I particulaly like this effect as it adds a touch of class and history to the piece but I have no clue as to how to acchieve this effect. Anyone got any soloutions? Thank you for any help offered.

Spider

Don't look back, you don't know what might be gaining...

#2 2005-01-14 03:10:54

Spider Jerusalem

Re: Venetian Masks

I am also seeking out info on how to achieve the leather look of some masks, any ideas on that one?

Don't look back, you don't know what might be gaining...

#3 2005-01-18 21:48:47

ayala

the finishing touch you can get with using different kind of paint and other materials. for example for old-cracked look you can use Easy Crackle    step 1 en 2

(see : http://www.powertex.be/Produkten.htm ).

Ayala

#4 2005-01-30 23:43:35

rozani
Website

Hello Spider>

The look of leather can be created by using brown paper mache strips that have been wrinkled.  Apply and let completely dry.  Use a dark color and wipe it off right away to create a stain.  This will flow into the cracks.

You can leave it natural looking or go with color.  You can also sponge over it lightly.  Just make sure that there is contrast in the veins. You can reverse it by doing light highlight stain in the cracks; after first using a dark color over the entire surface.  Make sure each color is dry before applying the other.

I like to just leave the brown paper with a dark stain only.  When completely dry, I use a spray gloss coat for the finish.

Some combinations:

Dark red with black or brown stain
Burgundy with black or brown stain
Tan with dark brown stain
Brown with black stain

Hope this helps.

Board footer