HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Can I use washi tape for final layer with glue mixture?

Can I use washi tape for final layer with glue mixture?

#1 2015-11-12 03:16:08

KarenOttersMom

Can I use washi tape for final layer with glue mixture?

The first layer will be with newspaper, and a piece of gauze too, but the top layer, can I use the washi tape?
Thanks in advance! 
Kc

#2 2015-11-12 08:06:51

dopapier

Re: Can I use washi tape for final layer with glue mixture?

You say 'the first layer and a piece of gauze'.  That sounds extremely thin.  If you want it to be firm it will have to be more than that. 
I haven't used washi tape but seeing what is available (http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/56-ways-t … .lqjKBwZJn) I'm sure you can use it.  Make sure your object is thoroughly dry first.

I'm a PM addict

#3 2015-11-12 08:09:47

CatPerson

I've never used washi tape. I've heard that it's like American masking tape, but prettier.

But one layer of paper and one layer of gauze isn't very strong. What are you making, and how big is it?

Sue

#4 2015-11-12 08:21:44

KarenOttersMom

The corset for a pre bought paper mache figurine dress form. 
Watched the super long videos by scrapping happyxo on you tube?  In the video she does two layers of book paper and gauze..... So after that, on mine, I wanted to use the lace style washi tape, but I'm thinking paper with a lace pattern on it would be better. 
Dressing them for Christmas, making 7 for all the girls in my family, each one a little different..... 
Also, in the video, she using pva glue and water, but doesn't not say how long it takes to dry in between layers.  Are we talking hours, or overnight, or 48 hours?

#5 2015-11-12 10:36:44

dopapier

Yes, forget the Washi and use any decorative paper.  Make sure it is paper and not plastic.  Are you intending that these 'corsets' will be freestanding or fixed to the models?  It will make a big difference.  If fixed, you don't need to bother about strength.  Look at the work of Mélanie Bourlon in the galleries on this site.  If they are to be freestanding, that is a totally different ballgame.
We need to know the answer to this question before advising on glue and drying time.  It sounds fun.

I'm a PM addict

#6 2015-11-12 18:02:28

KarenOttersMom

On the little mannequins.  Not on a hanger or freestanding.  I plan to paint the mannequins then have the little corset attached, with a Christmassy skirt......
Different colors, styles, etc.  I got a ballerina girl, and a bohemian girl, and an artist who loves Klimt so it's going to be a blast doing them all different!

#7 2015-11-12 19:54:33

Jackie
Website

Have you considered using paper doilies? There are many different patterns and they can look very lacy.

Jackie

#8 2015-11-13 03:13:58

CatPerson

Maybe the main question now should be, do they stay on (attached), or can they be taken off and put back on. Simply, if they are to be handled much, they should be made of more layers.  If they are glued on and are just decorative, a couple layers should be fine.

Sue

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Can I use washi tape for final layer with glue mixture?

Board footer