HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

How to construct arms?

#1 2015-08-20 19:23:21

lary11004

How to construct arms?

I have done mache on basic shapes only. Now I need advice or any guidance you may be able to give on making complex forms. I'm attempting to to make paper mache arms for a costume for my daughter.

If I use an actual arm for the mold how can I keep it from sticking to the arm?
What would be the simplest way to make multiple arms?
What kind, if any support should I use?
What is your suggestion for making a sooth surface?

Thank you for any help you can give.

#2 2015-08-21 01:21:22

CatPerson

Re: How to construct arms?

The simplest way to do that is probably using thin plastic food wrap (aka cling film) and clear packaging tape (2"/5cm wide).  You can buy both for cheap at the dollar stores.

Cover the model arm with the plastic wrap, cut in strips -- just wrap it around the arm, and the hand. If you want finger detail, cut into narrow strips and wrap each finger individually. Secure the ends with small pieces of tape if the film isn't sticking to itself very well.

Next, wrap the plastic-covered arm with the tape, overlapping all the edges. Cutting it in half lengthwise should give you a smoother finish than using it full width. Try to keep it as smooth as you can.

When you think you've got it right, use a tape cutter to cut CAREFULLY one slit down the back of the arm, open just enough to remove the human arm, then tape the the cut back together.

Cover with papier mache (strip method is best for strength in this situation).

For some photos, see Here's How to Make a Human Tape Sculpture at Instructables:  http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- … /?ALLSTEPS

CAUTION: If you want to use this technique with a human head DON'T FORGET to leave the nostrils open!

For some other nice results, google "tape sculptures"

Sue

#3 2015-08-21 07:35:05

dopapier

If you want to produce extra arms e.g. as Durga, wife of Lord Shiva in Hinduism, follow Sue's advice.  They will need to be lightweight and papier mâché in the layered paper method is ideal.  If it is to go over her actual arm, think of the construction of armour, with separate sections to allow movement.

DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#4 2015-08-21 13:10:44

lary11004

CatPerson thank you for the help. Sounds like a great solution.

dopaiper, Durga is the costume being made. Or a literary version featured in a fictional book series.
Thank you for your advice.

Board footer