HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Need to Make UNICORN HEAD from P/M PLEASE HELP!

Need to Make UNICORN HEAD from P/M PLEASE HELP!

#1 2003-11-04 03:55:25

RenaissanceUnicorn

Need to Make UNICORN HEAD from P/M PLEASE HELP!

I'm in a Madrigal Dinner for my school, and in the play, my friend and i are a unicorn. I need to make the head of my costume, and i was wondering what the easiest way is and how to do it with paper mache. I have to make it look shiny and pretty for the show. Please help me, i have to have my costume done soon!! Thanks a lot!
Nina

And what are some good ideas for the mane and tail?

#2 2003-11-11 15:16:02

rozani
Website

Re: Need to Make UNICORN HEAD from P/M PLEASE HELP!

Hello Nina!

Does it have to be a realistic head or can it be a unicorn mask?  Making a mask would be less time consuming and here's what you can do.....

Make a shape from a paper plate which is folded in half.  Outline the placement for eyes, nose, etc.  Trace a shape that is suitable for a horse's face.  Cut out big stylized eyes & punch air holes for breathing.  It can even be a half mask.  Cut out ears and attach with masking tape.  Make a narrow cone out of another paper plate and attach to center of forehead.

The mane can be made from fringed crepe paper or tissue, etc.  Fabric can also be shredded to resemble hair.  Yarn can also be used.

A realistic horse's head can be made from connecting folded pieces of paper plates or cardboard together with masking tape.  Use geometric shapes to create angles and curves.  They can be trimmed and fitted into place.  Once all pieces are connected, then mache over the entire surface.  Detailing can be sculpted with additional paper or pulp.  Use lots of layers to make it strong enough, yet light enough to wear over your head.

It may be easier for you to work with existing shapes such as milk cartons and gift boxes.  However, if you have artistic skills, make a pattern and use the paper plate method.

Hope this helps.

Rozani

#3 2003-11-12 05:02:42

rozani
Website

Hello Again.

I forgot to add something to my previous post.  Here are a few suggestions for a shiny and pretty unicorn mane.......

1.  Iridescent or metallic Christmas tinsel.
2.  Beaded fringe.
3.  Feather boa.

For a different twist, use fabric on top of the mache.  It can be glued or applied with starch.  Metallic fabrics may not absorb the starch and will need to be glued.  Also, false eyelashes are great to attach to the eye lids.  A unicorn's cone can be trimmed with a swirl of gold or silver cording.

Regards.

Rozani

#4 2003-11-12 05:11:46

RenaissanceUnicorn

Hey Rozani,
Thank you so much for your help! I will try to do what you told me. I'm not too creative and i've never really worked with paper mache so this will be an adventure... Oh, just one more question, would it be easier to use chicken netting or do what you told me and use cardboard or paper plates? Thanks again for your help... now all i need is an artist to help me haha.

Nina

#5 2003-11-12 13:55:57

Karen
Website

Using either of Rozani's ideas is the best way to create your unicorn. You want to keep it as simple as possible, especially if you are pressed for time.

karen
www.farroutart.com

#6 2003-11-13 00:52:28

rozani
Website

Hi Nina.

Karen is absolutely right!  Keep it simple.  The paper plate and masking tape method is quick and best for beginners.  I'm talking about the cheap paper plates, as they are very flexible and easy to cut and connect.

Rozani

#7 2003-11-13 05:06:08

RenaissanceUnicorn

OK, i will try that. The madrigal dinner is in about 4 weeks so i will let u know how everything goes. Thanks for all your help Rozani and Karen!

Nina

#8 2003-12-18 03:18:21

RenaissanceUnicorn

Well, the madrigal dinner was a success, and the unicorn head turned out really well, at least for my artistic ability. Everyone was shocked at how good it turned out, and i just wanted to say i couldn't have done it w/o you guys! I hope you get this Rozani, and i just wanted to thank you for all your help.

Nina big_smile

#9 2004-11-17 03:45:38

SPAM REMOVED

#10 2004-11-17 04:13:55

Melf
Website

Just a suggestion but it may be a good idea to turn off guest posting : ) the forum is flooded with junk posts like zumba guest , duko and lada

" If the person is willing to learn what do i have to lose by teaching him? "

#11 2004-11-17 13:42:47

russ
Site Admin
Website

Agreed Melf.

Up until the past week, the automated spam messages have been quite rare and easy to keep under control but they do seem to have increased in number recently. I'd rather have not had to turn off guest posting but, alas, it's done!

Russ

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Need to Make UNICORN HEAD from P/M PLEASE HELP!

Board footer