HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

A sturdy Halloween costume

#1 2014-10-14 03:41:03

jojomaru

A sturdy Halloween costume

Hi guys, thanks for making it so easy to join!
So as much as I love crafts, Papier-mâché is something I haven't done since school.

I'm currently making horns for a costume and rather stupidly used plaster if Paris.
It has a cardboard in wore frame but I would have preferred something sturdier.
(I'm a klutz and though it feels strong I can imagine it cracking)

So I'm thinking to take of the plaster of Paris layers and papier-mâché the frame.
What do you think?

I know everyone has their favourite mixes but flour, pva glue or wallpaper paste?
I need to start as soon as possible if I can.
Which is the strongest?
(the climate here is a little humid so I'm swaying towards the glue or wallpaper paste.
please tell me what you'd recommend or advise against.

#2 2014-10-14 06:46:01

CatPerson

Re: A sturdy Halloween costume

I'm not quite understanding what you've got there... a frame of some kind, covered with plaster of Paris, with papier mache on top of that???  Are the horns attached to anything yet?

Would it be feasible to cover the existing horns with plastic wrap (cling film) and tape it into place, then PM over that?  Several layers, then carefully remove from the form, let dry, then add more layers?

In a humid climate, the cellulose wallpaper paste or PVA glue would be best.  Make sure it's cellulose paste, not flour.  Or, you could mix the cellulose adhesive, and add some PVA glue to it.  Several of the people here use that combination.  Personally, I think it takes longer to dry, but you could try it.

What are the horns attached to?

Sue

#3 2014-10-14 10:15:25

jojomaru

Sue, thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

the confusion was me not being clear.
The frame is mostly cardboard with a little wire and this has been covered in a few layers of plaster of Paris/paper. When it's done it'll be attached to a headband.

it's hard but seems likely to crack so I'd like to remove the plaster (going back to just the frame) and redo with paper mâché.
Thank you so much for the advice you gave. I might have to look up what some of those things are and how easily I can purchase them (I'm in Japan at the moment!)

Is there any benefit to using PVA glue mix over wallpaper paste?
Thank you so much!

#4 2014-10-14 20:52:37

CatPerson

I don't know how difficult it would be to remove the plaster without damaging the basic form/frame, or how time-consuming it might be.

If you've covered the plaster with papier mache, that may protect it enough, unless you'll be bashing the horns on something hard.

Or, as I mentioned before, use what you've got so far as a mold for making an entirely separate piece using papier mache.

The main difference between using PVA glue versus cellulose wallpaper paste is mainly determined by which one you can find most easily, as far as I'm concerned.  I think the cellulose glue dries faster, without forming a "skin" on the surface like PVA glue does.

I don't know how many American products they have there, or if they have arts/crafts supply stores, but two of the easiest forms of methyl cellulose to find are Elmers Art Paste (2 oz), or Lineco Methyl Cellulose Adhesive (1.5 oz).  The Elmers is about half the price of Lineco, but both are about the same.  2 oz makes about one gallon of adhesive. 

If you can find dry wallpaper paste that specifies it is CELLULOSE, it is methyl cellulose and you mix it at the same rate as the other two.  Wallpaper paste comes as dry cellulose, or dry wheat flour, or premixed vinyl, or vinyl/clay.  See this link for more complete explanations:  http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/adhesives.html

Sue

Board footer