HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

light art / lamps

#1 2014-01-20 20:34:32

fairydust

light art / lamps

Hello ,
I want to make all kinds of lamps from papermache .
Hanging lamps , standing lamps etc in different sizes and shapes.
The thing is that some of my ideas are all closed up ( I know what you're thinking how will it give light ..... well through real small pinchholes or papermache combined with aslan etc ) .
The thing is i'm afraid of to much heat ( and on the worst case scenario  that this can cause burn )
Does anyone have ideas / suggestions  how to make my lights safe ?

#2 2014-01-21 06:36:24

CatPerson

Re: light art / lamps

There are porcelain lamps with holes, so I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing with papier mache:  http://www.thisnext.com/item/1BCB4D99/Hole-lamp   Dry it well and drill it?

I think you could make translucent shades with rice paper or tissue paper (similar to paper lanterns).

Regarding heat:  you would either have to design the lamps so the heat could escape from incandescent bulbs, or use the compact fluorescent bulbs (some are in coiled shapes) that hardly give off any heat at all.  Trapped heat would be the most dangerous.

#3 2014-01-21 09:05:05

mavigogun

Re: light art / lamps

Also consider clustered LED light "bulbs"- even less heat than compact fluorescents.   Regardless of what you choose, test it: run it in a hot box heated to 120-130 f, with ever increasing wattage bulbs until failure- then set the power max at a considered level lower.   Unless you are planning mass production, UL listing probably ain't a concern.

Board footer