HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Idea for baby shower gift

#1 2004-10-25 19:04:09

Peri

Idea for baby shower gift

Hello all! I went to my library and to my dismay, there are no books on PM sad  (I live in a very small town). I would like to make something for my best friend's baby to give to her at her shower (I did buy a gift as backup  lol ). Do any of you have any ideas (and instructions...I'm very much a beginner) as to what I could make? My friend doesn't really like dust collectors (for lack of a better word) since her house is all ready cluttered, so I was thinking of making something useful...eg. a chair, book ends. She already has a lamp for his room and a piggy bank so I'm a little stuck on what I can make. Any ideas would be really apprecitated.
Thank you soooooo much.
Peri.
PS - it doesn't really matter if it's a sculpture as I know she'll appreciate anything I make.

#2 2004-10-26 08:22:45

wernigerode

Re: Idea for baby shower gift

Hello Peri,

How about building a Mobile to hang over the babies crib?
- You could just tie two or three sticks together and hang your little paper mache figures on them. Figures could be animals, toys, cars, hearts -whatever you like… Also they are small and easy to make for a beginner. The next more difficult thing would be tying sticks to the sticks and make a more complicated mobile. Babies love it and it is not in the way of your friend if she hangs it over the crib.

To build little animals just crumple newspaper in an animal-like shape, hold it together with masking tape, add little parts like legs, ears, tires, with paper, card board, masking tape or tooth picks and then glue several layers of newspaper stripes around it (I use wallpaper glue) until it start looking like the animal/toy/whatever you want. Do not forget to insert an eyehook on top of it (probably just self made from wire) to later hang it. Let them dry and paint the figures. The colors looks best if you apply a white layer first (indoor wall paint is great). Then varnish.
It sounds more difficult than it is, just keep the shapes simple and make them into what you want by painting them.

If you need any help let me know.

Good luck with your project wink
Astrid

astrid.siegl@web.de

#3 2004-10-26 23:52:13

Peri

I love the mobile idea Astrid. Thank you for the instructions...it seems like it will be relatively easy to do. I was also thinking about book ends as I know my friend will be aquiring a lot of books for her son. Then the other idea I like is an air balloon to hang from the ceiling. I have the directions for that project, but I do not know how to do the book ends. I was thinking of doing the penguins but using bottles filled with sand or stones. Oh the possibilities of PM!!! I just love it. Course I've only done one thing so far  lol (a top hat for my daughter's halloween costume...Frosty) That turned out great...it's pretty bumpy...you can see the lines and crinkles through the paint, but we made it and that's what it's all about.  We both had a blast.

Sorry for rambling. I'd appreciate all thoughts on my ideas. What would you prefer for your child...or what do you think I should give? I'm going to need to start this very soon as the shower is on Nov. 6th. Thanks again everyone, for your feedback!! I'll let you know how, what ever I'm going to make, turns out smile

Peri

#4 2004-10-27 06:09:21

wernigerode

Hello Peri,

that all sounds great. If you want to do something fast you should probably do the baloon. It is a really nice idea, you can add details as much as you want and it will not stand in the corner and get dusty  big_smile

Whatever you do, I would like to see it. I am always looking for new things to try.

Have a great day
Astrid

#5 2004-10-29 16:34:52

Rachel

i think anything that is brightly colored and hangs from the ceiling is a good idea (mobile, balloon) the baby will be doing a lot of looking up for the first many month. bookends sound rather like dustcatchers to me.

#6 2004-11-04 02:12:29

Hi there,
few months ago I made a small chair for my 9 months son. As he just started to learn to crawl/stand/walk, he loves using the chair, as well as trying to climb on it.
I used a regular cheap plastic chair as the base and built layers all around it, and colored it as a king. you can see it on the visitors gallery.
He loves it !!
Good luck

#7 2004-11-04 05:03:12

Refka

Hi, I know it's probably too late, but I just read  your message.  AAnother idea that would apply to other gifts also is a wall decoration, sort of 3-D, but flat on the back, so it can be hung like a picture.  So, for babies, perhaps animals, or some such, but the possibilities are endless.  For a housewarming gift, you could do something for a bathroom, such as fish, or shells, etc.  I haven't acutally done this yet, but i'm planning on trying it soon.  Also, a mirror.  Becca

Board footer