HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Newbie - painting paper mache boxes

#1 2013-07-06 10:52:38

scorps

Newbie - painting paper mache boxes

Hi everyone - I am new here so please excuse the silly questions!

I have bought some paper mache boxes which I am hoping to paint and decorate to make a wedding cake card box.

To get the best result would I need to prime the boxes first in order so that the paint will go on nicely onto the box?  If so, what kind of primer should I use?

Also what type of paint should I use to paint the boxes.... acrylic paint? 

Many thanks in advance

#2 2013-07-06 18:54:14

Jackie
Website

Re: Newbie - painting paper mache boxes

Hi. You will need to seal the boxes first. Cardboard is very thirsty. Dilute some white (pva) glue 50/50 with water and brush over the boxes. You don't want the cardboard to get too wet or it will go soggy and distort.

Remember to brush all sides of the boxes, including the inside so that you don't get any distortion.

Once dry, acrylic paint is ideal to decorate them with. Sounds like a fun project.

Jackie

#3 2013-07-07 07:42:06

CatPerson

Re: Newbie - painting paper mache boxes

Jackie is totally correct about not getting the cardboard too wet, and to coat both sides of the cardboard.  It is better to coat each side with two very thin coats than one heavy one.

When something like cardboard or wood gets wet, the fibers swell and separate and surface bulges outward.  Then, as it dries, the surfaces shrink and warp.  But there is much less chance of that if you treat both surfaces the same way.

And there is no such thing as a silly question!  If you don't know the answer, you have to ask a question, and never let anyone tell you different.

Sue

Board footer