HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Crushed egg shells - how fine to crush, how much to mix, etc.

Crushed egg shells - how fine to crush, how much to mix, etc.

#1 2012-12-31 13:35:51

Zoik

Crushed egg shells - how fine to crush, how much to mix, etc.

So I got me some eggshells and I have crushed them up.

First pass in the mortar and pestle the bits were about 1-2mm in size, second time more like a powder.  Is this about right?

Any tips on which paints to mix this stuff with?  What effect are we trying to achieve with these eggshells?

Cheers.

#2 2012-12-31 19:15:26

CatPerson

Re: Crushed egg shells - how fine to crush, how much to mix, etc.

What was your purpose in the beginning?

There are only three uses for eggshells in PM that I know about:

1.  Ground fine into dust, as a filler, as an alternative to something like chalk/calcium carbonate. 

2.  For use as a mosaic type of finish, broken into coarse pieces (suitable to the size of the project). These pieces could be dyed before application, or painted once they are in place.

3.  A whole shell (with contents blown out and washed), as a base to build upon.  They make nice fat little bird bodies, or heads.

But if you've heard of some other use, please post!

Sue

#3 2012-12-31 19:49:31

paper soup

Eggshell tempra?

#4 2012-12-31 22:24:49

Zoik

Hi Sue

I thought I had read about shell being mixed in with certain paint finishes to achieve... I'm not sure what.

CatPerson wrote:

What was your purpose in the beginning?

There are only three uses for eggshells in PM that I know about:

1.  Ground fine into dust, as a filler, as an alternative to something like chalk/calcium carbonate. 

2.  For use as a mosaic type of finish, broken into coarse pieces (suitable to the size of the project). These pieces could be dyed before application, or painted once they are in place.

3.  A whole shell (with contents blown out and washed), as a base to build upon.  They make nice fat little bird bodies, or heads.

But if you've heard of some other use, please post!

Sue

#5 2013-01-01 00:57:32

CatPerson

There is what is called an 'eggshell finish' on walls, etc, that has a slightly rough finish with little or no gloss, but it's just a descriptive term, as there are no eggshells involved.

There might be some type of craft finish using ground eggshells mixed with paint to give a rough, gritty finish.  Or paint the surface, then dust with ground eggshells while the paint is still wet.

Sue

#6 2013-01-01 13:50:30

dopapier

It is not easy to grind eggshell into a really fine powder, not is it worth the effort.  Eggshell that is ground fairly fine, as with a mortar and pestle can be mixed in with pulp for a thin surface layer.  When the dry surface is sanded and polished it looks a bit like granite.  There is no value in using it for the main body of pulp because it won't be seen.

I'm a PM addict

#7 2013-01-01 20:57:12

CatPerson

I've never seen that, David.  Is it ever colored, or just the natural white &/or brown?

My duck has started laying eggs (one female out of six), and I've noticed the shells are different:  chicken eggs are dull, but the duck eggs look more like they're made out of thin porcelain. 

I learn something new every day!

Sue

#8 2013-01-02 10:00:08

dopapier

The natural colour is all that is needed.  Yes, the duck eggs do look like porcelain.  It is a marvellous surface for painting miniatures.  Alternatively, if you crack the end of the egg, wash it carefully and line the inside with paper and pva it becomes a very strong surface for further creation.

I'm a PM addict

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Crushed egg shells - how fine to crush, how much to mix, etc.

Board footer