HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Woodglue is your friend!

#1 2004-07-31 23:11:27

Jenn
Website

Woodglue is your friend!

i recently completed a mask project using papier mache. however, i needed more stability so i added a layer of cloth and woodglue. watered down woodglue is a great medium to use in papier mache! it dries nearly rock hard and it's waterproof, sandable, drill-able, paintable, etc. it's great for adding extra strength to your projects. the down side is that woodglue is much more messier to work with than wheatpaste or wallpaper paste. thinner layers (like the layers of glue you'll get on your hands) starts to dry in 5-10 minutes, making the glue tacky and frustrating when stuff starts to stick to your hnds, and it takes extra effort to wash off. nevertheless, i thik every papier mache artist shuld give woodglue a try.

- Jenn Rodriguez

#2 2004-08-08 17:02:25

Vicky McElhinney

Re: Woodglue is your friend!

Hi Jenn,

I agree, all I ever use in my pulp is watered down pva glue, as you say it dries very hard and very quickly and doesn't go mouldy ( I am not known for my patience wink ).  I use wallpaper paste for detailed layering as sometimes I find you need a less sticky glue, but I have mixed pva with wallpaper paste before, that is quite tough also. When layering with watered down woodglue, I apply it with a brush and wear polythene gloves, the glue doesn't stick to the gloves making manipulating your paper strips a bit easier. Using wood glue does make things a little more expensive but I buy 5 litre containers from decorators or building suppliers rather than pay over the odds at craft shops.

Vicky

Board footer