HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Balloon troubles!

#1 2004-07-30 18:31:21

lizajac

Balloon troubles!

Hi,

I am a newbie at papermache and I went through the faq and the forums but one thing is not clear. I am trying the "bowled over" project in this site using a balloon. When the burst the balloon, the lower part of the balloon (the part that is layered) still sticks to the paper layers, is this normal or should I try to tear it off? Also do i need to cover the exposed balloon (inside of the bowl) part with paper mache layers? I would really appreciate a quick reply from any of you experienced guys here. Thanks.

#2 2004-07-31 11:03:15

Jackie
Website

Re: Balloon troubles!

Hi!

Sorry to hear you are having difficulty with balloons sticking. This shouldn't happen - they usually come away cleanly. You are not using Supa Glue as your adhesive are you!?  lol

Seriously, if you still find it happens all you need to do is to smear some release agent onto the balloon first. For information on what to use see "Getting Started" http://www.papiermache.co.uk/exec/cms-d … iew/id-23/

It is important to spend time smoothing out the layers of papier mache on the balloon. If you do it carefully, the inside of the bowl will be beautifully smooth and it won't be necessary to add any layers to the inside,  unless you are doing so for decoration purposes.

Jackie

#3 2004-07-31 23:03:09

Jenn
Website

my papier mache sticks a little bit to my balloons sometimes (i use commercial wallpaper paste) but with gentil effort i can pull it away rather cleanly. just make sure you have enough layers built up to maintaine stability. adding an extra layer inside the bowl isn't necessary, but you can if you want. i tend to leave it as is since the balloon creates a nice, smooth-ish, uniform surface.

- Jenn Rodriguez

#4 2004-08-02 03:16:55

lizajac

Thank you guys for all the replies. After a while the balloon started coming off so i tore off the rest of the balloon from the bowl and it looks good to go now. Thinking of a design now smile

Board footer