HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Hazel Bryce's "Seahorse"

#1 2012-12-13 15:43:13

mavigogun

Hazel Bryce's "Seahorse"

Check it out; if you can look past all the self aggrandizing ("most complex papier mache ever"), there's something worth seeing.

http://vimeo.com/31484011

#2 2012-12-13 17:27:35

Jackie
Website

Re: Hazel Bryce's "Seahorse"

Its a spectacular piece of work. I have seen it before...if my memory serves me right I think I once saw it with a spectacular price ticket on it too! smile

I also have a sneaking suspicion that I once contacted the lady, but didn't get a reply.

Amazing work.

Jackie

#3 2012-12-13 19:19:22

CatPerson

It's a lovely, intricate piece of work, and maybe I'm being picky, but if the artist was attempting to create a focus on endangered species (which, in truth, may have been an afterthought), a person might wonder why she made it look more like a horse (Equus) rather than an actual seahorse.

But I'm also one of those who snickers at the verbal descriptions of artwork that tries to elevate squares and lines to Real Truth and Meaning. 

I would feel better about work like this if the artist just referred to it as "my vision of a seahorse" and let it go at that.

And for those who can't see videos (like me), here is a photograph:  http://www.recyclart.org/2011/11/seahor … sculpture/

Sue

#4 2012-12-14 15:29:27

Patraw
Website

It's quite an impressive piece, especially with all the convoluted forms that cover the surface.  I do agree that the extensive artistic statement/description is laying it on a bit too thick though.

#5 2013-01-14 14:40:28

erikatakacs
Website

It's such a wonderful accomplishment, it doesn't need any words, afterthoughts attached to it. It would be so much better if galleries, curators wouldn't ask for statements that hardly capture any of the painful process which I am sure is honestly expressed in the video. I enjoyed her talking about the work, even with the "messaged focus". The work survives anything, it's that good.

Board footer