HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Tell me about the projects you are currently working on

#26 2007-03-29 08:39:55

snoozysnowshoes
Website

Re: Tell me about the projects you are currently working on

I would first like to know if you can get tablets for a Parabolic ellipse  lol .
As for a link (ha ha) I don't know how to, That goes for the little quote boxes and pictures I have tried the little boxes at the top and i mess it up. :oops:
I'm a build and make person I don't do tec.
Sue.

#27 2007-03-29 19:37:32

Lengo

I would first like to know if you can get tablets for a Parabolic ellipse  lol .

Huh? Do you mean a template? Uh.. I dunno. Just blow up a balloon. That's what I did.

As for a link (ha ha) I don't know how to, That goes for the little quote boxes and pictures I have tried the little boxes at the top and i mess it up. :oops:

You don't need any fancy code. Just go to the page where you'll link to. Highlight the link in your browser's address bar and press CTRL+C (this copies the highlighted text).  Then in your post, use CTRL+V to paste it. The link will be 'live' when you preview it or submit it.

I'm a build and make person I don't do tec.
Sue.

Heh heh heh. Me either! I just make shapes and glue 'em together the OLD FASHION WAY!  big_smile

If you see spelling errors, it's becaue my fingers are glued to my keyboard!

#28 2007-03-29 20:18:51

snoozysnowshoes
Website

I would first like to know if you can get tablets for a Parabolic ellipse  .

It's a joke he he  big_smile

Thanks I've just done a copy and paste.
Sue.

#29 2007-03-29 20:55:37

Lengo

It's a joke he he  big_smile

Oh I see! Well call me Mr Easily Confused!  :shock:

#30 2007-03-30 03:06:02

CatPerson

"You don't actually wear it round your rear end, it goes round the waist and is a cummerbund."

David, you're assuming again! Didn't Rudolph Valentino wear his around his head?
tongue
Sue

#31 2007-04-11 02:12:15

butterbee

I've currently been working on a papier-mache penguin. I  hope it ends up working out. Someone asked me if I could make a penguin and I told them I'd try. I am doing it Pat Little style. (I sure miss her site. :cry: )

I am also working on another storage box. (I am covering banker's boxes. I just loved the way that the last one turned out. It is so sturdy.) And I am making a tiny little bank out of a tomato paste can, cardboard and papier-mache for a craft trade.

Is anyone else working on something fun?

#32 2007-04-11 21:44:21

Lengo

I'd like to see this tomato paste can when you're done! Be sure to post a picture of it.  big_smile

#33 2007-04-11 22:14:53

butterbee

I'd like to see this tomato paste can when you're done! Be sure to post a picture of it.  big_smile

You bet, Lengo!

Although my digital picture taking has a lot of be desired. *laughs*

#34 2007-06-04 22:25:37

Perfiditty

I'm a bit unimaginative with regards to papier mache because I just love making masks. I get to get covered and be messy when making the pm and then I can be all arty when I down to decorating them.

Currently I'm working on a green and gold mask to go with a costume I made (think Marie Antoinette style). I've nearly finished it all I have to do is back it with felt and its finished.

I cna tpye 300 wrods pre mniute!

#35 2007-06-05 03:53:07

Lengo

I've turned my attention to model making, specifically dioramas in small scale like 1:35, 1:72, and 1:87 (HO train). Paper mache works well for this. Pulp formed around a wire makes great tree trunks. 1/16 inch thick corrogated cardboard is good for buildings' walls. Creative Paper Clay is good for filling the corrugations where cuts are made, filling gaps between connecting parts of buildings, making pots for planters, and even sculpting chimneys (that have a paper mache armature). Domes can be made from various things, including balloons and other forms, and again paper clay when used as a coating when smoothness is required.

Modeling in these scales allows you to purchase accessories in these scales. Things like lamp posts, telephone poles, and people figures are readily available. You can purchase various fence too, like picket fence and guard rails. There's animals, small craft boats, automobiles from all eras, cowboys, indians, conestoga wagons, and just tons of stuff!

Other materials can be used too. While paper mache is the primary medium, there's also strip wood, plastic parts, and metal parts. The result is, of course, mixed media.

You can buy premade building kits that are made from plastic, but where's the fun in that? Making these from scratch is much more fun!

This all came about because I made a huge mistake. I went to my local toy and hobby shop and looked at what they had available.  Some of these things are model ships, model planes, and (the thing that really got me)  model trains. I say it's a mistake because I immediately fell in love with the notion of building these things, but these goodies are extremely expensive. I became obsessed. Thankfully, with some experience with paper mache, I've figured out how to make many of these out of paper mache and other paper materials, which will save me a TON of money. Trains are out (I don't really wanna run trains anyway) because of the expense and space requirements, but I figured I could make some of the buildings and make little street scenes and small dioramas.

So, one paper mache project I had started used to be a box. It was a Muslim mosque with a dome. This has now become a diorama (still in progress), and it looks great with HO scale accessories. Soon I'll have all the pieces ready for assembly and painting. It has circular steps, an entry portal, the dome and circular tower, and I have bought two HO scale women in Saris and an Indian elephant. The building will be surrounded with a few palm trees I'm making from paper pulp and silk flower material cut to fit my needs. It's looking very sweet!

At any rate, thank goodness for paper mache! I couldn't do this without knowing paper mache techniques and materials. I'll still be making small crafts like boxes, mirrors and dolls, but modeling has me totally fascinated. Crafts are cool, but diorama making has me captivated.

If you're interested in what can be done in diorama making, Google images of HO train layouts, 'dioramas' (though most are military), and 'scale figures'. there's lots of inspiration, and lots of figures and accessories to work with!  Is very cool!

#36 2007-06-05 08:42:42

snoozysnowshoes
Website

Perfiditty love the masks. Have you tried making some of your puppets out of PM theres a great puppet modling site I gave to Newmodeller (who also makes puppets) somewhere in the forum I will see if I can find it for you.
Lengo nice to know you are out there it was getting a little quite in here I think all of us have just been too busy.

Sue.

#37 2007-06-05 08:55:23

snoozysnowshoes
Website

Hi me again ( just like a London bus you wait all day and nothing then two come at once).
The website is www.puppetsandstuff.com  Very much like this site full of helpful people.

Sue.

#38 2007-06-05 10:43:45

newmodeller
Website

Hi to all,

Perfiddity your puppets are lovely, please come and join us at Puppetsand stuff.  There are a few UK people and Michelle (Wyhoming) and I are holding up the end valiantly.  Also we need more marionetteers as there is a majority of foam builders there.

In addition to Sue's link there are a number of other, mainly US, sites you could look at
www.puppetbuilding.com

I also have a fantastic link to Ronnie Burkett's site that gives his recipes for PM.  His marionettes are fabulous.

http://home.eol.ca/~props/recipes.html

Looking forward to seeing you over the pond (so to speak).

Sue, how are the festivals going?  I have my etsy shop set up and now have 4 items up, lots of hits but no bites yet

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#39 2007-06-05 15:25:47

dopapier

8) (Cool dude!)
A friend is very keen on sea horses so I set myself the challenge of making one, about 15cm high.  I've solved all the problems I met along the way and should be able to post a picture of the finished article soon.

At the moment I'm heavily into F.I.B. (foamed insulation board) for basic armatures.  Does anyone else use it  . . loads of free castoffs from building site . . . ?
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#40 2007-06-05 17:03:42

Perfiditty

Thanks for the links! I'll have a proper look at them, they look really interesting.

I cna tpye 300 wrods pre mniute!

#41 2007-06-05 17:44:36

Lengo

Those puppets are totally cool!

M'thinks I'm just a kid. I love toys, model trains, and colorful goodies. Perhaps I'm a reincarnation of Walt Disney.  big_smile

#42 2007-06-06 13:12:17

k8

just wondering, how do i find everyones gallery, is there somewhere in the posts i can click on? or do i have to go to profiles for names and than search the galleries?

#43 2007-06-06 14:52:53

newmodeller
Website

Hi K8,

Russ and Jackie are working on this at the moment.  For now I think it is a case of just scrolling through and looking for people.  May be it would help if we put our real names in the avatar box on the forum so that our user names and gallery names are linked.

I will have a look at my biog to see if it is possible

www.pawtraits.co.uk

#44 2007-06-06 15:39:37

dopapier

I finished the sea horse and have posted a picture into my gallery.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#45 2007-06-07 16:08:32

snoozysnowshoes
Website

Hi charlotte
Love the bug. This Sunday and next Sunday then July. Im going to see if I can find you on etsy.
Been packing my stuff into crates and need three new ones I had forgotten just how much new stuff I've made.

David O I have just been in the gallery nice sea horse very life like.

Sue.

#46 2007-06-07 18:37:41

newmodeller
Website

You will find me under my shop name of Puppetsndolls.

Or type in the tag puppets.  Etsy is well worth a good look around.  If you go into the forum and look for the section named Street Teams you will find a full list of all the UK artists using the market site.

You sound fantastically busy! big_smile

Well I started the world war two project today.  40 or so boys started their paper spitfires and 25 or so girls planned the designs for their dolls.
I gave the lesson twice, one to each group of thirty-ish.  Boy talk about noise and keeping them focused.  First lot managed to finsh their armatures today but the second group were a little slower.  Next week we get our hands dirty. :twisted:

www.pawtraits.co.uk

#47 2007-06-08 04:41:27

Lengo

David, I like seahorse! The miniature piano is cool too.

Newmodeler, that finger puppet is too cool!

Here's what I've been working on:

http://www.iinet.com/~lengoforth/new_0050.JPG

I still gotta cut the steps so that they form around the front of the base. I gotta get to the senior center where there's a bandsaw to do this. They're too thick to cut with a knife.

Luckily, the HO scale figure matches pretty well. Two of these will be in the diorama, and trees are in the works but I don't have enough progress on these to show anything.

I've made some other things, but they sucketh. However, I'm proud of figuring out how to make these cups fit together, but my paint job is terrible. The cups fit together using super-duper magnets.

http://www.iinet.com/~lengoforth/new_0010.JPG

http://www.iinet.com/~lengoforth/new_0020.JPG

Then there's a incense box I made. It's so so. Erm.. sucky, actually.

http://www.iinet.com/~lengoforth/new_0030.JPG

#48 2007-06-08 05:47:54

butterbee

I've let papier-mache fall by the way-side but I am ready to recommit again. I really would like to get the other storage box that I have been working on forever. If there is anything that my place needs is some more organization! *laughs*

#49 2007-06-08 09:28:21

snoozysnowshoes
Website

Hi all I stopped PM a week ago I need a break, well I say that.
Im doing a load of tye dying at the momment.
Charlotte tried yesterday could not find you but will go and look when I have finished in here and good luck with all the kidllies I know what its like.

Bbee nice to know your still about it went really quite at one point.

Len like the new projects keep us posted. what did you make the little cups from ? and the incence box has given me some great ideas in using up all those kitchen roll tubes if you don't mind.

Sue

#50 2007-06-08 14:36:47

newmodeller
Website

Hi,

sadly one of the things about etsy is the speed with which you vanish down the pages.  This is the link to the shop.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5160146

I gather the most successful way to sell is to post at least one item a day as this keeps you at the front of the queue in your chosen field.  sadly I don't have the time to make stuff at that speed.

OH well!  One day I will sell something, it is a good job we don't rely on me for our daily bread.

www.pawtraits.co.uk

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Tell me about the projects you are currently working on

Board footer