HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Tell me about the projects you are currently working on

Tell me about the projects you are currently working on

#1 2006-11-25 00:21:09

butterbee

Tell me about the projects you are currently working on

I have been pretty slow creatively lately so I am just working on a door stop piggy bank, and some storage boxes for our living room so we can put misc stuff quickly away when people come to visit.

I looked at buying storage containers but they were all too expensive, and too ugly - so papier mache here I come. big_smile

#2 2006-11-27 18:49:35

darkcloud

Re: Tell me about the projects you are currently working on

Hi BBee... lucky you... I've got none, still too busy with my day job... I think I have 4 reliefs waiting to be finished... a boxfull of molded masks waiting to be painted... a handfull of sketches waiting to be started... and a pile of old newspaper waiting to be shredded and mashed... keep at it!

#3 2007-03-14 02:08:06

butterbee

I have almost finished the papier-mache bunny I've been working on. I got a request to make one since the kitty I made went over so well with everyone.
I am also experimenting with making covered cardboard tops to hopefully make usable storage containers out of recycled tin cans. I really need to get started on that second banker's box I have to turn it into a strong storage container as well. As you can tell, I need a lot of storage containers around here.  big_smile

On a side note I have been wondering what the average number of layers of spackle is that most people put on? Since I am so new to this, I just wonder how much is too much and how much would be considered not enough?  roll

Is anyone else doing any projects? I always wonder what else everyone is working on.

#4 2007-03-14 02:23:12

CatPerson

I think I've fallen into a 'Dead Zone'. 

I'm making a multi-part plaster mold of a lifesized cat from a clay model.  It isn't going as well as I had hoped. 

Mostly, I am trying to gather a lot of my random bits and pieces of PM info together and put it into some kind of coherent collection.  'Coherent' isn't currently the word I would use to describe it right now.

I feel like all I'm doing is spinning my wheels and cleaning out the cats' litter boxes.  Sigh. :cry:

Sue

#5 2007-03-14 08:51:43

snoozysnowshoes
Website

I don't want a public flogging here, but I can't shut my head up.
If I'm not sketching at night I'm messing about with PM in the day time.
I've got two commissions to finish a tree mirror and a box. There are two other mirrors I'm working on and three bowls an A frame free standing shelf thing. Plus I have been messing about with paper jewellery which looks quite good I need to test their durability.
It's because spring is comming I always get a bit out of control.
O.K I'l stand still now so you can throw some rocks at me big_smile .

Sue

#6 2007-03-14 12:31:51

butterbee

CatPerson: I am sorry to hear that you have fallen into the 'Dead Zone'. I know I get  the 'Why can't I create anything and why are the things I create not working out' blues too.

For the gathering of random bits and pieces of PM info, you could always put them together in a FAQ forum. I'd be more then willing to help you by asking a million of beginner questions so you know which ones to answer.  lol

snoozysnowshoes: Well, I for one am not going to throw rocks at you. I am happy you have been so busy. I'd love to see some pictures of your work though. I love seeing other people's work so much! I find it always seems to inspire my own.  big_smile

#7 2007-03-14 16:50:50

snoozysnowshoes
Website

Hi Bbee

Would love to show some pic's when I'm finished Ill put them in my gallery space and let you know. I would put some in here but i don't know how. I like to glue and stick a tec head I'm not  :oops: .

Sue

#8 2007-03-14 21:17:48

newmodeller
Website

I seem to have fallen in between the two camps.  Like Sue I have been sketching and have a multitude of projects backed up, but like David events keep getting in the way.

I recently updated my gallery with the finally completed Snow Queen marionette.  I am currently building a mermaid puppet for my husband's god daughter.  Also am working on a variation of the dormouse bowl for my mum's birthday.  There is a request for a fairy from a friends daughter in the offing as well.  My grand ambition is to make a start on the sculpture I have sketched out.  This will be the largest piece I have yet attempted.

Most of the inspiration comes from visiting here each day to see how everyone is getting on.

Keep thinking up ideas and sketching them out.
Love,
Charlotte smile

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#9 2007-03-15 07:56:01

EllenEggers
Website

well, i dont get to post as much or as often as i'd like... like everyone else, day to day seems to keep getting in the way of my PM roll  wink

i have started a PM relief picture for art class at uni.. and i am waiting for a bowl to dry so i can take it out of the mold... its been so long since i just made a simple bowl just to enjoy the pulp and the process

i have a camel that is waiting patiently to be painted... i dont know what the life span of camels is.. but this one must be checking out nursing homes behind my back yikes

#10 2007-03-15 08:52:08

snoozysnowshoes
Website

Hi all
I went for a walk the other day and came across a small piece of tree. It looks like the very bottom bit of a christmas tree which someone has trimed off. It has the most fantastic knots and bark texture that it has inspired me to make a bowl later on. I find mother nature is a great inspiration.
I also find that sometimes having a break and not making anything for a while is good. I've only started PM again after a three month break. It gives the old brain bank a bit of a charge.

Sue

#11 2007-03-22 00:22:01

Lengo

Well, those sound awfully cool! Good luck with all those.

I'm just getting started. My first piece is a fat guy with a beer belly flexing his muccles. It will be funny and whimsical (my kind of stuff). Here's hoping that it works out!  big_smile

I went to a thrift store today looking for molds. They are having a 75% off sale!  I got dolls for their faces, a piggy bank, some toys, and just plain stuff! I mean a lotta stuff! And all I spent was $8 US.  I AM SO EXCITED!

I guess I'm just a big kid!  big_smile

If you see spelling errors, it's becaue my fingers are glued to my keyboard!

#12 2007-03-22 17:35:28

FlippantMicrobe

Right now I am working on an old man face. I am really enjoying it.

#13 2007-03-22 19:09:05

Lengo

Here is the tree before I painted it.

HOLY SMOKES! That is huge! That is most awesome too! Really pretty! The old man is cool too, but this tree.... oh my!

You have a LOT of patience!

#14 2007-03-22 21:00:45

snoozysnowshoes
Website

Nice tree (I'm a tree sort of person) big_smile . The old guy freaks me out a bit I think it's the teeth. He's good though.
I would like to see them when finished.

Sue

#15 2007-03-22 21:25:23

dopapier

:?  You are a busy lot.  It's wonderful to hear the exciting things that are going on.  Microbe - the old man and the tree are splendid.
I find the onset of Spring and the promise of Summer is stimulating.  We have a conservatory on the south side of the house and I can just feel the warmth to dry all those layers and pulp.
I'm into a 'vase' session at the moment, designing various shapes and finishes.  I've put the first in my gallery.
This evening I read through an encyclopaedia of animals and made some drawings.  I can see the 'Sally Cat' type of construction would work with some decorative fish and also, with some careful moulding of laminated thin card, a ray.
I also have been given a pile of offcuts of insulation board that will be ideal to shape for basic armatures.
I also am working on a prototype for a case for a tenor viol that my wife is making.
Here we go!!
Good luck with the multi-mold Sue!
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#16 2007-03-23 16:56:19

snoozysnowshoes
Website

Hi all
Just to let you know I've updated my gallery space with some of my new pieces  big_smile .

Sue.

#17 2007-03-23 20:34:31

Dustintino

I think Im in a bit of a slump too. I started PM last fall and went nuts with it, I completed around 11 projects in my first couple of months, then my ADD kicked in and I moved back over to the music side of my brain. I have had some ideas creeping back in lately though so I think I will be getting started again soon. I have had a pretty common theme in all of my projects thus far, after 2 recent trips to mexico I have fallen in love with the artistic styles there and have been emulating those styles with my own work.  I still need to create a gallery and upload some pictures, Im curious to see what you guys think. I dont know anyone else who works with PM. ...gotta get my digital camera fixed. Wow, im rambling (ADD) good luck with the projects all, and I have to say the old man looks amazing! Im pretty excited to see that when youre finished.  :twisted:

#18 2007-03-25 02:36:36

butterbee

Right now I am working on a  old man  who will be holding up a lantern.
It's my second pulp mache project. I am really enjoying it.

I will be doing a tree stump for some one after this styled after a tree I made a few years ago.
Here is the tree before I painted it.

FlippantMicrobe: I just wanted to say that you are an amazing artist and greetings from a fellow Canadian.  big_smile

#19 2007-03-27 21:25:52

FlippantMicrobe

Thank you for the kind words   :oops:     big_smile

#20 2007-03-28 19:29:12

Lengo

Mister Ballon-belly loses his muscles!

I was gonna make this guy flexing his muscles, but the arms turned out wRoNg! So, now he's gonna be .... erm... I dunno. There's lots of ways to go. I'm leaning towards making him a band leader/conductor.

http://www.iinet.com/~lengoforth/0001sm.JPG

I'm concerned about how long this is taking. I've got 7 days into this!  I've got his shoes made now, but not attached. I've got the first 2 layers on his head and will need -8.  I'm gonna use pulp to make his hair, mustache, and smooth the joins at his arms. He's getting a bow tie, a cumber-bum, and probably coat tails on the back. Then there's gonna be a lot of sanding (I'm smoothing as I go to some extent). It'll probably take another 5-7 days before I can start painting!  This is taking too long! Or is it?

#21 2007-03-28 20:56:57

dopapier

"Cumber-bum"  I like it!   lol! and more lol!
You don't actually wear it round your rear end, it goes round the waist and is a cummerbund.
lol
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#22 2007-03-28 21:03:43

Lengo

erm... ha ha ha.... well, I need one around my rear to hold it up! (damn gravity!)

#23 2007-03-28 23:30:53

newmodeller
Website

Hi,

he has the most fantastic shape big_smile

I can't wait to see what he looks like with all the rest of him attached.

Thanks for the info on E-bay.  I am still looking into options for sales space,  we are a bit short of street fairs etc here in the City of Notts.  But there is a new initiative called Cultivate that ties into our new arts centre.
They are encouraging as many local artists (minor and major) to take part, so I will give them a go.

Sorry got side tracked there.
All the best,
Charlotte

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#24 2007-03-29 02:29:07

Lengo

That sounds great! You'll meet people!

Talk up having a fair and get some people interested. Ask about city ordinances for using a park. And get inspiration -- think tanks are better than goin' it alone. Perhaps you can make a community effort to have a street fair in the summer.

Also ask others where they're selling. You'll get some good input.

Best of luck! Let us know what develops.

-----------
Re: The shape

That is molded around a balloon, one of the most fascinating shapes there is!  Viewed on edge, in 2D, the shape is a parabolic ellipse, the same shape as the orbits of objects in space!   big_smile

#25 2007-03-29 02:36:19

Lengo

Hi all
Just to let you know I've updated my gallery space with some of my new pieces  big_smile .

Sue.

ok fine! Which Sue are you? Please provide a link to your gallery.  big_smile

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Tell me about the projects you are currently working on

Board footer