HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

need help with painting....

#1 2006-10-20 05:10:17

Kryshna_MoonRose

need help with painting....

OK so I finally got around to doing a mask out of paper mache and paper mache pulp.  Anyways its rather lumpy and it looks kinda like rock..lol so I was wanting to paint it to look to like marble or granite or something. Do you have any tips that would help?

#2 2006-10-20 09:22:35

CatPerson

Re: need help with painting....

Just some ideas: 

I would paint the mask a basic background color, like grey or medium/light brown, and let it dry.  Or maybe leave it wet and then add some daubs of a slightly darker color and just kind of smear them together a bit.

When dry, you might want to add a few lines or 'cracks' using a fine paintbrush or a feather, in a darker colr.

And you might want to use a kind of short or stiff flat brush, dip it into another color, then draw a stick or knife across the ends of the bristles to make the paint spatter.  (I would try a few times on paper, until you discover how to get the appearance you want.)

And if you don't like how it turns out, just cover it with a base color again, and start over.

If you want to smooth it down, you might sand it with sandpaper wrapped around a smallish block of wood.  (Just fingers behind the sandpaper is virtually worthless.)

And if you need to fill some small holes and cracks, you could find some whiting (aka calcium carbonate & ground chalk), and mix it with some white or light-colored acrylic paint.  It will thicken the paint and help provide a smoother surface.

Sue

#3 2006-10-20 22:19:58

Kryshna_MoonRose

sanding it wouldnt help...lol but those are some great ideas.  thanks. smile

#4 2006-11-05 16:00:53

Wile E

I don't know if it would work on PM  but it would be way easy if it does - there's a spray paint that had a granite look/texture to it. Unfortunately I can't remember the name but I have seen it in both craft and home improvement stores.

Board footer