HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Paper Mache for a suit

#1 2006-08-11 00:26:05

rcarnes

Paper Mache for a suit

I want to paper mache an entire suit for a halloween constume.  Does anyone know of a recipe to make the paper mache more pliable to allow for movement?

rcarnes

#2 2006-08-11 03:15:05

rozani
Website

Re: Paper Mache for a suit

Hi.

Paper is paper.  If you plan on sitting on it, surely it will crack or tear.  On the other hand, if you attach fabric to it, it will be more flexible.  If there are sections that have to bend then you will need to articulate them.

Straight mache is good for forms that are not practical but rather ornamental.  However, in the case of headpieces and armor parts, there are more possibilities.  When in doubt, combine fabric and paper.

Please do not use any flammable varnishes.  Stay away from fire, intense heat and/or moisture while wearing it.  An entire costume made of mache can be very unsafe if worn under the wrong conditions.

Though it can be fun, you need to also be safe.

Hope this helps.
wink

Rozani

#3 2006-08-12 16:23:36

rcarnes

If I start making the suit now,will I have problems with mold in October?

rcarnes

#4 2006-08-12 19:17:08

sebrink
Website

If you use flour and water mixture then potentially, yes.  You need to make sure it is completely dry before painting and you'll want to seal it too.  If you use glue or wallpaper paste you'll have less potential for mold.

Paper mache sculture can last for many years if handled properly.  Keep it dry and away from moisture (keep it out of the basement).  Moisture is the enemy.

smile

#5 2006-08-13 21:25:20

Perfiditty

Have you thought of using wallpaper (as it is in sheets) as the 'fabric' for your suit? I've seen costumes made of paper
http://home.tiscali.nl/reuven/Maartje_N … apier.html

I cna tpye 300 wrods pre mniute!

#6 2006-08-14 19:37:04

rcarnes

The idea is to make my entire costume look like a newpaper.  It is encouraging to see that other costumes have been made of paper.  I just need to figure out how to make it wearable for about 5 hours.

rcarnes

#7 2006-08-15 04:54:12

CatPerson

If all it has to do is LOOK like paper, why not cut out a pattern of iron-on interfacing, then then iron newspaper to the sticky side?  Sew it together and you're wearing the news.

Sue

Board footer