HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Newb with a couple of questions...Help plz >.<

Newb with a couple of questions...Help plz >.<

#1 2006-06-01 16:06:00

Psycho_Acolyte
Website

Newb with a couple of questions...Help plz >.<

I have quite a few questions to ask..

First off, where can I get sawdust easily?  I'm a student without a job right now, so my budget is severly limited.

Second, I need some suggestions. I'd like to use my paper to make paper mache dolls, kinda like the Noah dolls. But on their tutorial, they talked about using stone clay, so I was wondering if I could use paper clay instead of stone clay.

I have a lot of paper....the whole area under my bed is filling to the brim with boxes of paper and a giant plastic thing that has more paper (and couldn't fit more into it >.>) So I definetly have enough paper for it. But I'm wondering just what all materials I need to make stuff out of paper clay. Like, what I should mix it with and all that good stuff. If I need to get a blender, I'll look for one at goodwill or something.

Right now, the only thing I can do to get money to pay for the materials would be making paper stars and origami flowers (which look nice in vases ^^)

Also, my dad is a clean fanatic. He hates the idea of me saving up so much paper since I can't do anything with it right now. He just whines about it becoming a rat's nest. But the only reason I don't do anything with the paper is because I don't have any materials for it.

Can anyone give me any recommendations on making dolls and paper clay then?

Thanks for reading my long post >.<

"You are weak like the salted slug and your mind is slow like a sloth on sake."
"HUH?!"

#2 2006-06-02 20:23:14

Vinca

Re: Newb with a couple of questions...Help plz >.<

You can usually get small amounts of free sawdust at lumber mills or woodworking shops.  One way to make paper clay is to tear strips of paper, pour hot water on them and let it sit a day or two, then run the stuff in little bits through a blender or food processor.  You can also work away at it with your hands or use a drill with a drywall mixing attachment for larger batches.  After it's broken up and mooshy, I usually drain it through a strainer, then add some white glue and wallpaper paste flakes and work at it with my hands until it's like clay.  I've never made a doll, so I haven't a clue how to do that.  If you're dad is a neat freak, be careful not to turn everything purple if you're using newspaper.

Don't blame me - I didn't vote for him.

#3 2006-08-31 04:25:40

Psycho_Acolyte
Website

Thanks for the advice ^^

Does anyone know how to make a sword ish base? I'm planning to make a paper mache sword to go with one of my costumes, but I'm not sure how to make the base for it.

"HUH?!"

#4 2006-08-31 05:05:27

CatPerson

While you're at Goodwill, see if they have any styrofoam balls for heads.  You can just mold mache pulp over it, or wrap paper strips over it.  You might want to insert some wire into it (before or after) so you can attach it to a body.

One way to make a sword handle is to cut your handle silhouette out of cardboard, then build it up with mache pulp mixed with adhesive.

I've also seen boxes of wallpaper paste at Goodwill... occasionally.

Sue

#5 2006-08-31 07:31:00

Psycho_Acolyte
Website

After looking at the sword I'm making, I came up with a tangible design. The pieces would have to be made seperately, and attached together afterwards.  (BTW, The sword I'm making is Fuuraiken, Ky Kiske's weapon of choice from Guilty Gear)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/ps … eprint.jpg

"HUH?!"

#6 2006-08-31 11:55:42

dopapier

Perhaps you've made the sword by now but my method would be a base of cardboard (as already suggested) but I wouldn't use pulp.  Use quite a thick carton cardboard (not corrugated) in a few layers.  You can contour these to be thicker in the centre of the blade.  Then laminate paper over it to as many layers deep as it needs for the strength you require.

As for doll's head, you could try the laminating method but build your shape using an egg and plasticene - see my article on using eggs.
DavidO
(dopapier) tongue

I'm a PM addict

#7 2006-08-31 15:50:31

Psycho_Acolyte
Website

To be honest, I mostly prefer my method.....May be somewhat more work, but the bright side is that I have more than enough paper to fuel the pulp. I have left over pieces of cardboard from boxes I cut up, but those wouldn't be very helpful for the round dowel shape of the hilt. And I know someone will tell me to just get a dowel and use that as a base, but I don't know where to get one, how much it will be, or if it's even available where I live, so I ruled that out from the beginning.

Besides, the sword is fairly thin, I'm not sure how I would be able to make a base out of cardboard that would work for it.

"HUH?!"

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Newb with a couple of questions...Help plz >.<

Board footer