HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Question...pls help me

#1 2006-05-07 03:16:23

Shelliii

Question...pls help me

I come from HK.And my teacher asked us to make a papier mache aboout faces in Hong Kong.I think I know what do I want 2 make but somehow I just got a question that I couldn't find any answers and I hope u guys can pls answer me.THX.

Mmm...I want to make a mask that is transparent but the materials used is not.How can I make it transparent?
THZZ!

#2 2006-05-07 19:51:45

CatPerson

Re: Question...pls help me

I don't see how you can make a transparent mask from non-transparent materials.  And... if the mask is to be transparent, why have a mask?

Sue, puzzled in the U.S.

#3 2006-05-08 22:10:21

Vinca

I wonder if you could make something out of plastic wrap and glue that dries clear?  Or cast a mask out of lucite goop?

Don't blame me - I didn't vote for him.

#4 2006-05-08 23:14:13

Psycho_Acolyte
Website

Yeah you could make the mask out of stuff like cellophane and using clear glue, but then that would defeat the purpose and you would probably get a failing grade. After all, you said the teacher wanted paper mache right? Paper mache is NEVER going to be clear. And I do agree with CatPerson. If the mask is clear/transparent, what's the point of it? A mask is meant to hide your face.

Your best bet is to get a big enough balloon, and paper mache on it. If you want relief on it (for instance nose piece) take some cardboard (cut up a cereal box or something like that) and tape it to the balloon. Just paper mache over it from there. Oh, and if you want eyes for the holes, make sure to measure them so that if you wear the mask you can actually see through it. ( i made a mask as a trial and the eye holes were too far apart to see. So i just wear it like a sideways hat XD)  Also, paper mache does not cut well. So if you want eye holes, don't paper mache the hole thing and try to cut holes out later. Leave the eye hole pieces out. Make sure to have at least 3 layers of paper, white printer paper works best and looks a nice white. Although you probably have to paint over it anyway lol.

Well that's enough of my advice o.o;;

"You are weak like the salted slug and your mind is slow like a sloth on sake."
"HUH?!"

#5 2006-05-10 00:51:48

EllenEggers
Website

maybe if you used rice paper... about 4 layers should give it enough strength... but it would still be more on the tranlucent side as opposed to transparent

#6 2006-05-11 01:27:47

Psycho_Acolyte
Website

That is true. Rice or washi paper might be the only ones translucent enough. Though I'd still be weary of it o.o

"You are weak like the salted slug and your mind is slow like a sloth on sake."
"HUH?!"

Board footer