HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

paper mache plant

#1 2006-04-04 19:20:33

Moni

paper mache plant

Hi everyone!
I need a rather large artificial plant for my bedroom and I was wondering about any hints you folks might have for making it out of paper mache. The silk ones can be very expensive. I have some ideas of my own but I would like to hear other ideas first. I will post my ideas later. Thanks  wink

My cat is my best friend!

#2 2006-04-04 23:30:13

DaveyB
Website

Re: paper mache plant

I made an ivy plant. Just use a stiff wire for an armature. Leaves aren't a problem if you use enough varnish.

I have a shed I am complete

#3 2006-04-05 04:09:09

Moni

Thanks for the input Davey. I am thinking of trying several sheets of wallpaper laminated together for the leaves. How do you think that would work?

#4 2006-04-05 05:30:15

CatPerson

Do you want a large-leaved plant?  Are you trying to reproduce something similar to a real plant?

If the wallpaper is thick, the weight of multiple layers might tend to drag it downward if you don't use really stiff wire.

Sue

#5 2006-04-05 09:51:04

DaveyB
Website

The ivy I made (in my gallery) was simply leaf shaped pieces of paper stuck to thin wire and then laminated over with newspaper. It was a few coats of varnish that gave them strength and meant I was able to shape them slightly too, so they're more naturalistic than just flat shapes, which of course leaves are not. If you wanted to make large leaves, then you might want to use wire for the leaf ribs. As long as your underlying structure is secure enough, there shouldn't be any problems

I have a shed I am complete

#6 2006-04-05 21:26:46

Moni

Davey,
I looked at your ivy and I think it looks very much like what I want to do only with bigger (more tropical) leaves and maybe some kind of rod for the trunk. I like your idea about using wire for the veins or fronds of the leaves.

Catperson,
Yes, I am wanting it to look like a high end artificial or somewat close to real. Painting may be my real challenge, not construction.

As soon as I get started with it I will post some pictures in my gallery.
Thanks! big_smile

Board footer