HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Selling your work

#1 2006-03-13 05:38:50

Moni

Selling your work

I am fairly new to paper mache and to area where I live (Boise, Idaho, USA). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for selling paper mache finished work. I have thought about craft fairs. Is anyone represented in a gallery? I am not sure if galleries think of paper mache as "real art" Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. If I don't either sell or give away some peces I may have to rent a larger apartment.    smile

My cat is my best friend!

#2 2006-03-13 23:11:49

heronheart

Re: Selling your work

I actually had the shock of my life when I sold a $50 piece of my website www.oakfire.com this morning.

#3 2006-03-14 01:02:48

Vinca

Wow - great masks!  I was wondering the same thing about selling, Moni.  I'm a newbie, too, but I can feel the possibilities.  I'm working on a series of faceless cats from very small to very large and if I live long enough to get them done, I might try to get them into a local gallery.  I currently sell antiques and collectibles in a group shop and I thought I might try making a modern version of the old German Halloween candy containers to sell in that venue.

Don't blame me - I didn't vote for him.

#4 2006-03-14 13:10:41

Mischief
Website

I've been selling my work now for quite a few years via, exhibitions, art & craft fairs, galleries, craft shops and private commissions. Some can take quite a large cut usually 40% so you have to work out before hand all your costs. In truth you don't always make back the true hours you put into each piece, but thats something you have to except up front when working in our chosen medium so keep the material costs down where possible.
Advertising and promoting the recycling side of working with PM is a bonus now as more people are coming round to all the environmental issues we are all facing. Its the concept of a piece that determins whether it is art, craft or folk art and not the material used. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Some of my pieces fall into one catergory or another and I desplay where I feel they will do best.
It takes a little nerve at first to approach craft shops and galleries etc. Keep a portfolio of your work, which is easier to carry with you than the actual pieces. If they are interested, you can always return. Doing a recky before hand of the kind of places you think might be interested, is also a good idea. If one of these places agree to take on your work, see if they will allow you to do some promotional stuff, like a piece in the local news paper about you and where your work will be sold. Its good business for them too.
Theres the internet if you want to take that root with your own website using paypal to take payments or ebay, which has become very popular for some artists.
Craft fairs are a good way to start if you want to begin slowly doing the odd one or two a month perhaps, although some markets who hold these may ask you to carry insurance which can be expensive so check the requirements first and incorporate this into your costs.
If you go down the private exhibition route, make sure you can get as much advertisement as possible, local papers, flyers, posters and word of mouth. Perhaps hold an opening on the first evening which you can send invitations out to the local papers (pointing out your a local artist, plus the recycling bit) local MP's (this is always good promotion for them to be seen supporting the local artistic community) and don't forget friends who will tell others. Word of mouth is always good. If you decide to make it an open evening for anyone, say so on any posters or flyers. I have sold more on an opening evening such as this and recieved some commissions than I perhaps would have otherwise through out the whole length of the exhibition. People feel less conspecious in a gathering like this, than wondering around a half empty exhibition room alone.

If you do decide to take commissions, I would advice that you ask for a deposite upfront to cover any costs, unless you know the person and feel you can trust them.

Have I forgotten any thing? Probably, but feel free to ask if I've left anything out. I don't profess to know everything about selling, infact I still consider I have a lot to learn but I hope this will help. I'm not starving yet!  wink

PS: By the way love the masks, Heronheart and congrats on the sale.  big_smile

~~*~~*~~
(AKA) Jilly T.

#5 2006-03-14 23:25:58

heronheart

Have I forgotten any thing? Probably, but feel free to ask if I've left anything out. I don't profess to know everything about selling, infact I still consider I have a lot to learn but I hope this will help. I'm not starving yet!  wink

PS: By the way love the masks, Heronheart and congrats on the sale.  big_smile

Thanks for the compliment Mischief!  Are you earning your living selling papier mache and do you have a web site?

-Ken-

#6 2006-03-15 00:17:49

Moni

Mischief,
Thanks for the advice. The recycling idea might be just perfect. I agree, the masks are great!

My cat is my best friend!

#7 2006-03-15 14:21:10

Mischief
Website

Yes for a few years now, although I do some craft classes as well occasionally.

My web site url is attached at the bottom of this message. I don't promote my online presence as I should but the truth is I'm happy selling the way I do.

Wishing you the best for further sales, your off to a good start!

~~*~~*~~
(AKA) Jilly T.

#8 2006-03-15 15:00:24

heronheart

Yes for a few years now, although I do some craft classes as well occasionally.

My web site url is attached at the bottom of this message. I don't promote my online presence as I should but the truth is I'm happy selling the way I do.

Thanks Mischief.  Love the Goddess statues!

-Ken-

#9 2006-03-17 18:02:21

CatPerson

Another way to get your presence out there is to donate occasional pieces to charity sales or auctions (or their office, if it has relatively high-volume traffic), IF you can attach a reserve price (a minimum price or the item will be withdrawn from the auction).

But no one is going to know who you are if don't attach some advertising to the piece.  Sign it and add a copyright date to the actual date.  If Vinca starts to sell her PM cats, she could have a thin cord around the neck with a hangtag giving info about the artist & the piece.

Put a decent price on your work.  If you price too low, people will think it's worthless.  For instance:  a woman I know made some items to sell at a Christmas bazaar that had a good track record (& held in an historic old house).  Not much of her work was selling.  When she left about noon to pick up her tot from kindergarten, her friend immediately tripled all the prices.  By 4 pm, most of her stuff had walked out the door.

Don't try to sell anything that isn't top-quality.  If you don't value your work, no one else will.  Don't aim for the WalMart crowd.

Sue

Board footer