HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Help! Newbie Emergency! Bowl Collapse.

Help! Newbie Emergency! Bowl Collapse.

#1 2006-03-05 15:46:12

Vinca

Help! Newbie Emergency! Bowl Collapse.

This is probably the reason for taking a basic class in papier mache before attempting a delicate project.  I'm making a large bowl and I'm hoping my final product will resemble pottery.  I began by molding PM into a pliable, plastic bowl, reinforcing it with fiberglass drywall strips and coating with white glue.  I let it dry for a couple of days in front of the blower of our pellet stove and managed to get it out of the mold and looking pretty good.  The next day, I put it back inside the bowl and added another coat of PM and let it dry overnight.  This is probably where I went wrong.  Before it was entirely dry, I overturned the plastic bowl to get it out of the mold so it would dry faster.  It cracked in a couple of places and required some cutting and pasting of tissue paper to keep it intact, plus another coating of white glue.  It's currently drying out of the bowl in front of the blower.  I want to add a layer of PM to the outside (the toilet paper kind) and to the inside.  Should I a) be more patient and add thinner layers or b) do something to prevent the moisture from seeping down to the previous layer before continuing like spraying with polyurethane?  Or did I just go about this whole project the wrong way to begin with?  Thanks for your input.  Jayne

Don't blame me - I didn't vote for him.

#2 2006-03-05 16:05:48

CatPerson

Re: Help! Newbie Emergency! Bowl Collapse.

Your method sounds okay.  What kind of "tissue" are you using?  TP?  Wrapping tissue?  I have never used TP except once, and stopped immediately because it was too soft for my use.  If you're using TP, I can see how you might have problems, but I don't know enough to help much.

Just remember that white glue is somewhat water RESISTANT, but most kinds are not WATERFPROOF. sad    If you wanted to waterproof it, you would have to use something like shellac (untinted) or polyurethane, I suspect.   But you can't mix them, I have heard (like using shellac underneath and polyurethane on top).  And I don't know how well PM would stick to a layer of either.

For something thin and delicate (or translucent), I thought someday that I would try wrapping tissue, with clear shellac as the glue.  But it might not work.  But it might!   big_smile

All I can suggest at this point is that you use the glue sparingly as you go, trying not to soak the base.  And it's probably heresy, but I would add the least amount of water to the glue that I could get away with.

Sue

#3 2006-03-05 16:19:10

Mischief
Website

I agree with catperson in that the method sounds okay. I use pulp mixture for my bowls and find the best approach is patience and time. Try using thinner layers and letting them dry thoroughly before applying the next. Might take three or four before its strong enough to remove from mold but the strength will be better to work with.

~~*~~*~~
(AKA) Jilly T.

#4 2006-03-05 18:07:55

Vinca

I think my biggest problem is patience.  The PM mix I started with is a regular newspaper/wallpaper paste/white glue concoction.  The tissue paper - gift wrapping stuff - was just for the first aid on the cracks.  I'm hoping to get a porcelainy/potteryish finish with the TP mix.  I'll try to make thinner coats and let things dry longer.

#5 2006-03-05 18:50:15

DaveyB
Website

leaving the piece in the mold might help.

I have a shed I am complete

#6 2006-03-06 03:55:42

CatPerson

We must be patient with papier mache.

OH, RATS! ISN'T IT READY YET???!!!

Do not set papier mache on the hot wood stove.

Ashes are dry, but not the solution.

Hmmm.... how about the clothes dryer?   :twisted:

Sue

#7 2006-03-06 11:33:08

Mischief
Website

Not a tumble dryer I hope. *lol* Pictures wet pm going round and round and round.... could be just a little messy.

Yeah, working with pm teaches one a valuable lesson. All good things come to one who waits... or so I'm told.

~~*~~*~~
(AKA) Jilly T.

#8 2006-03-06 13:04:12

Vinca

I need to practice the mantra.  Things are rosier this morning.  The bowl is dry and only slightly off kilter.  2 more layers to go - IN THE MOLD - so it should straighten out.  Patience, patience, patience, patience.

#9 2006-03-06 13:08:52

Vinca

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile   Patience, patience.

#10 2006-03-06 13:50:56

DaveyB
Website

Patience is something I don't have either. So I leave everything over or before a storage heater. Hit it with a hairdryer. Put it in the microwave. Put it in the oven. They all work.

I have a shed I am complete

#11 2006-03-06 14:02:57

Mischief
Website

Ummm, the size of ones project may be a problem. Some may be too big to fit in an oven or micro wave.

The heater and hair dryer can work on thin layers but on thicker ones can occasionally leave the piece drying to fast on the out side and wet in the middle. This can course the piece to become unstable.

I generally have severel pieces on the ago at a time, which keeps me busy and my mind off the time and patience factor.

~~*~~*~~
(AKA) Jilly T.

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Help! Newbie Emergency! Bowl Collapse.

Board footer