HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Another filler query

#1 2006-02-19 22:18:58

DaveyB
Website

Another filler query

Is it possible to use a pulp without filler? Presumably it is, but what should I expect as far as results go? I'm not looking for a smooth finish - just the opposite infact.

I have a shed I am complete

#2 2006-02-20 05:36:11

CatPerson

Re: Another filler query

You don't need filler.  If you're making your own pulp, just blend it to the consistency you want and add your glue.  I usually use a thrift-shop blender.  Beat it longer for smoother pulp (may require more water, too), or less for "textured" pulp with more lumps.

Check to make sure the texture is what you want.  If it needs less water, drain it through a piece of window screen (Screening stapled to a wooden frame is best, but you can just put the screen in a large bowl and dump the PM into it, and drain it to what consistency you want.)

Sue

#3 2006-02-20 11:58:14

DaveyB
Website

Thanks for confirming that for me Sue!

#4 2006-02-20 13:54:50

Jackie
Website

I also have found no problems with anything I have made with just good old plain pulp.

Jackie

#5 2006-02-20 16:00:13

Mischief
Website

I use mainly pulp in my pieces because it is so versatile. Sometimes I use fillers but to be honest this is rare. When I started working with pm I found it really benefical to just play around with different consistances, fillers, armatures, paper, glues and flour.
You can read pm recipes and friends can give you some really useful and valuable advice but to be honest I think its hands on experience thats most important, experimenting for oneself. Sometimes you stumble across a technique or mix that no one else has tried, which is always exciting and satisfying to share with others.
Be adventurious and make as much mess as possible, which is essential for me because its all part of the fun and exploration of all things papier mache.  lol

~~*~~*~~
(AKA) Jilly T.

#6 2006-02-20 16:45:25

DaveyB
Website

Smashing!
I'm not particularly new to PM (just this site), just that I'm too poor (struggling artist anyone?) for clay and bronze casting, so It's PM and inventive paint techniques until I'm discovered smile
Of course, it's nice to be environmentally friendly too;)
Thing is, I'm very "precious" about what I do and don't like to experiment, just get in there, do it, and move on to the next thing. So I'm not too keen on trying out various different fillers in case they rot or something! My latest piece involved an ENTIRE day tearing newspaper into 5mm squares (don'r possess a blender or grinder), so if I tried a new recipe and it didn't work, I'd be ever so slightly miffed! So please excuse the daft questions for a bit smile
Dei bach (apparently!)

#7 2006-02-21 17:51:04

Mischief
Website

I can see your point of view. My experiments tend to be on small scales, 28cm squares to be boringly exact, that way I don't feel like I'm wasting much time, energy or materials if it goes wrong. They generally take little time to make because we're talking small quantities, you just leave them on the side to dry while you work on your main pieces.
If they work out okay I then experiment with finishes, staining, waxing, painting techniques, not to mention different varnishes etc...
When finished they don't go to waste because hung in block groups they look like pieces of contemprary art on your wall. We can all be precious in our own little ways. wink

By the way there are no daft questions, just daft.... uh? Forgot where I was going with this!  roll  lol

~~*~~*~~
(AKA) Jilly T.

#8 2006-02-22 15:56:40

dopapier

One friend on another site told of an acquaintance who didn't tear up the paper at all.  He left it to soak thoroughly, poured it onto a concrete area and stamped around in his wellies until it was well and truly mashed.

I'm a PM addict

#9 2006-02-22 15:58:07

DaveyB
Website

Oooh! That's a good idea! I might have to pinch that:)

Board footer