HomeForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

rabbit skin size????

#1 2002-01-10 14:48:56

rabbit skin size????

I'm reading a book about papier mache, and I found a recipe for gesso. It's gypsum and rabbit skin size. But what is rabbit skin size?? Is it a kind of glue made of skin?

Esther

#2 2002-01-11 17:56:16

Re: rabbit skin size????

Hi Esther,

Yes, but you don't need it! Gesso is an old fashioned sealer. Emulsion paint is just about the best you can use on your papier mache ready for painting.  As an animal lover and a vegetarian I find the thought of using it abhorrent so never would anyway, but there really is no need!  yikes)

Jackie

#3 2002-01-28 17:45:57

I fully agree with Jackie
I use Emulsion all the time, I live now in Canada here it is called Latex
Should you want to try making your own "Gesso" though you may find the following recipe of interest WITHOUT the rabbit skin size!!
Take good quality plaster of paris mix with water adding 3 times the the ammount of water than for normal plaster.  Let this settle
you will now have the plaster settled on the bottom, pour off the water and with the remaining plaster add 2/3 white glue to 1/3 plaster sediment, gesso is used to give a smooth porcelain finish, you need to apply several coats sanding each one before applying the next until you have a smooth glass like finish that can be painted in the normal way
Hoping this helps
Terry

#4 2002-01-30 12:01:14

Hi Jackie and Terry!

So, emulsion is latex, but what would that be in Dutch... Is it the kind of paint you put on walls, what we call latex overhere, or is the kind of paint you put under the 'normal' paint, as a preparation?

And plaster of paris is gypsum, gips in Dutch? That would be the white stuff you can pour out to make molds and objects with?

And with the recipe you gave me Terry, how long does it stay 'usable'? Am I right thinking that since you let it settle in water it won't get hard again, only if the white glue dries up?

Questions, questions, questions. smile))  I've tried wallpaint once, and it was too brittle, and I'm using the preparation paint now, but it doesn't really build up a real layer as I liked with the wallpaint. So I'm going to try your gesso recipe soon. I still need to buy some white glue. smile

Thanks, Esther

#5 2002-01-30 14:42:00

Hi Esther,

Emulsion/Latex is the interior wall paint. It is water based so you can thin it with a little water if is too thick. Occasionally I water down the first coat a bit, then put the second coat on neat. Different makes of paint vary in how thick they are - some are like a *jelly*! (Thixotropic paint it is called here in the UK) This usually needs thinning.

Jackie

Board footer